Green mucus on stool / benebac question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Green mucus on stool / benebac question

So I posted recently about Yuki vomiting and having green mucus on his poop (full post here https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ce-3-days.html).

The vomiting has stopped thankfully and since removing all outershells of the superworm we give him every night, his poop size has greatly improved (I'm guessing he can't digest the shells well). Last night and two nights before, he did the longest poops and the last part is always covered in green mucus. So I'm ordering some benebac today to see if it makes a difference and if it doesn't I guess we will try giving him the Baytril the vet gave us in case he does have a GI issue.

I've checked and the only benebac types I can get here is the attached dog/cat one (which is also for exotic and wildlife mammals) or the bird/reptile one ~ small mammal one isn't available here. I've checked the ingredients and dosages of the cat/dog one against the small mammal one (available in the States), and they are exactly the same ~ pet weight between 1/2lb - 1lb (227g - 450g) give half a teaspoon. My question is, people that use benebac do you give this dosage or less? I've looked at previous posts on here and seen other members just give a pinch/sprinkle over the food, so which one is best? Start off with just a sprinkle and work up to half a teaspoon if necessary or give the dosage correct for their weight?

Also what is everyone's opinion on the antibiotics, should I start giving it or wait and see if the benebac helps first? I was given 5ml Baytril from the vet as a precautionary measure (he couldn't find anything wrong with the stool sample I gave him which had green mucus on it and also couldn't hear anything concerning when he listened to Yuki's chest). I'm of the view not to give antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, since this will probably make the green mucus worse if he doesn't actually need them or have a GI issue. I don't want to weaken his immune system.

Advice much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (211.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 11-11-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

For the benebac, don't overthink it. A pinch over the food is really all you need. However, if you're giving antibiotics, you need to time when you give the benebac or the antibiotics will just kill the bacteria in the benebac. I just don't remember offhand how long after the antibiotics are given to wait before giving the benebac. Couple hours maybe? Hopefully someone will happen along that remembers.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply shinydistraction!

Ok sure, I'll just do that then. Is it ok to give everyday whilst the green mucus is still happening? I think the instructions said 1, 3, 5, & 7th days but if just giving a pinch maybe each day is ok? I think when I was reading previous posts about giving whilst on antibiotics to wait at least 2 hrs after to give the benebac but if someone could confirm that please, that would be great! Thanks guys!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I generally used it two to three times a week. I don't think there's any harm in daily use, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. But once poops started looking good and everything else was right I typically backed off of it. I mostly used it to help get my girl back where she needed to be.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks! My Amazon parcel already arrived this morning (got to love prime! ^^) so we will try it tonight and see how his poop is tomorrow and go from there... He's still having green mucus last night (always just on the last part of his long poop). I'm wondering if it may have been caused from one his cat kibbles ~ I started a fresh bag and realised I ordered the 'small kibble size' variation so been needing to add more kibble to make up the amount he'd normally have of it (normally 40x regular size but putting 50x of smaller size one). Maybe the ingredients slightly differ or just because the amounts I give isn't exactly the same? I think he generally has a sensitive GI as whenever I increase his other kibble by like 1x he gets green poop ><. I also gut load his live insects different veggies so maybe this could be contributing to it too? But it's going to be a week tonight of this green mucus so hopefully the benebac helps and it's not something serious.
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.

Tags
antibiotics, baytril, benebac, green mucus, vomiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in