Behavior Changes - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Behavior Changes

Hazel is a little over a year old, like a year and 2 months.
She is the most social, loving hedgehog I've ever seen.

Short version:
She used to get up around 12-1, eat and run on both wheels then do the same later on.
She isnt getting up till around 4-6am now and in turn isn't running as often.
She used to have messy poopy wheels.
Now her wheels are mostly pee. She has some poop pebbles outside of wheel. But last night she did not.
I think I messed up her light schedule and I am working to fix it. But I dont think that explains why shes not pooping as much.
Im starting to worry about her food consumption, I'll be watching it tonight.
I gave her baby food carrots which she loves, hope this helps her poop.

Thoughts? How can I best fix her light schedule?

Long worded version: i got carried away while writing about her.

Usually I get her out to cuddle around 9-10. She is a huge cuddle bug. Then when I put her back in her cage, she'll eat more then go back to her sleeping spot. Around 12-1 she'll start eating again then running on her wheels.
She has two wheels because when I first got her I felt so bad that she was just running in her poop. So she usually poops and pees all in her purple one. Then runs on her green one and may poop and pee a bit more. Well lately she's been peeing all over them, but hasnt been pooping as much. At first I thought it was because I ran out of her junk food kibble and her poop was just less sticky/messy on the wheel, because there were little poop pebbles outside the wheel. But last night I added her junk food kibble back in with her other 3 kibbles (she has had these 4 kibbles for a while and I added each slowly).
I gave her some baby food carrots which she loves, I'm hoping if she's constipated this may help.
I've been worried that my schedule has thrown her off. I quit my job at the end of September which I used to get up around 630-730, now I'm sleeping in a bit later. I didn't even think about how this is affecting her light schedule. I usually just leave my blinds open and it's very bright. Although I have been reading that I should be leaving my light on in my room, which I've started doing.
I have a room heater set to 75 then her heat lamp is set to 77ish. The bottom of her cage gets chilly and I've had hibernation scares with her a few times (because she likes to switch up her sleeping spots and occasionally sleep under her fleece bedding). So I keep my room on the warmer side and her heat lamp is near her chosen sleeping spot.

I attached pictures because she's an adorable hog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170911_212858_1509002482745.jpg (65.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170327_002702_657_1509002574156.jpg (104.1 KB, 3 views)
Hazelthehedgemonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sudden behavior changes usually indicates illness. I would take her to the vet and get her checked out asap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in