Hedgehog has no appetite, weight loss. Please help :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Hedgehog has no appetite, weight loss. Please help :(

My hedgehog has all of a sudden quit eating a couple days ago. She ate some, but very very small amount. She chews food, and spits it back out or will put it in her mouth and spit it back out. She now doesn't really do that. She runs on her wheel all night and doesn't eat so she went from 372 grams, to 334 grams. She is worrying me sick and I don't know what else to do. I thought she didn't like her food anymore, so I went out and bought 2 new foods and she doesn't want those either. So I bought a tiny can of wet cat food and put the juice on her food, but nope. Then I tried baby food, nothing. She ate one mealworm today and two pieces of oat, and now she doesn't want anything. She will smell food for a bit, then walk away. I'm going to TRY syringe feeding her tonight, but I don't think she will have it. She is acting normal, just not eating. Please help.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog has no appetite, weight loss. Please help :(

I syringe fed her some water, she had a bit of that, but I tried the baby food and she put up a good fight so that failed
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I saw your previous post on her being a picky eater. I would definitely say vet, even if the only symptom is her not eating. It'd be best to get things checked out to be 100% sure, especially with as much trouble as she's giving you. For tonight, try laying out a smorgasbord for her - a bowl of her normal dry food, a bowl of new food, a bowl of dampened kibble, a bowl of wet cat food, a bowl of baby food, maybe some plain cooked & chopped up chicken or turkey...having a ton of options available might entice her to eat a little bit more. I'm not sure if you should take the wheel out or not...Perhaps you could try for a couple hours while you'll still be awake and see how she reacts? Running while she's not eating is bad since she's losing weight so quickly, but given that some hedgehogs will get into a heck of a lot of trouble with no wheel...it could end up being the lesser of two evils to leave it in.

For syringe feeding, do what you can - just try and get any food into her. Try different positions, maybe mix some wet cat food in with the baby food, and give her breaks when she gets too upset. When you're cuddling her, keep a bowl of food and a syringe nearby and try to sneak a little into her when you can. For positions, you can try holding her with her side against against your chest, sitting her in your lap with a hand to keep her in place, holding her with her back to your chest, swaddling her in a blanket...Just try whatever you can think of, and get her to the vet soon to see if there's something going on with her mouth/throat/something else that could be causing her to not want to eat.

Good luck, and I hope you can get something into her. It's nerve-wracking when they won't eat! And keep us updated!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure she's hydrated and has plenty of water all the time. It could be something else, but it could be as simple as being thirsty. Has anything in her cage changed? Occasionally a food strike is in protest of something, like cage items being in a different position, or if you're not using their favorite food bowl. Just little things to consider that can get overlooked. If nothing along those lines makes any difference, I'd say definitely make a vet appointment, and in the meantime make sure you're getting at least a little food in her by syringe every day, no matter how much she might put up a fuss.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I took her wheel out and put in some wet cat food on her kibble for now. She drank through the syringe as much as she wanted. She wouldn't take any baby food though. I'm going to take her to the vet as soon as I can. My poor baby, I wonder why she's not eating..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Absolutely nothing has changed in her cage and there is no risk of impaction because she is on fleece liners and toilet paper as litter. My breeder recommended a very very small piece of a McDonalds burger. She said that worked with a few of her hedgies. I think I will try that as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in