Help! I?m paranoid about my baby Milo - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! I?m paranoid about my baby Milo

Okay so I?m a new hedgehog mom and sad to say Milo does not favor me but loves my boyfriend. I bought him from a local pet store and the first day of him being out of his cage he nuzzled into my boyfriend and fell asleep. It?s been true love ever since lol. I?ve done my research but would love any tips/feedback.
We have a CHE but it makes his cage sooo hot! One time I saw him completely laying uncurled with his eyes open and now I won?t turn it on and keep the heat in my house on 76. It traumatized me... His nails are too long but he won?t let us near his feet to clip them... I?m hoping when he warms up to us he will get better about it but for now we?ve tried foot soaks and getting the poop out from under his nails which has been unsuccessful because he curls in a ball and hisses if you try to touch his feet. As soon as we leave his feet alone he falls asleep in my boyfriends lap... when I purchased him from the pet store they had him in a fish tank which from what I?ve read is not the right tank... so we are in the process of buying him a new cage. Needless to say I feel we are failing as hedgie parents and I want to make sure we are giving him the best life possible so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
P.S
I am on here multiple times a day reading other people?s questions and learning every day. We have the food list and our hedgie is quite the picky eater but is in good health (drinks plenty, eats a lot of food, and has healthy poop).
SammiMilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The CHE needs to be plugged into a thermostat to control the temperature. The thermostat will turn the CHE on and off as needed to maintain a steady temperature. If you look in the heating section you'll find some links to some thermostats.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ohhh okay thank you! Do you have any tips on how to cut his nails, or get the poo out from under them?
SammiMilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

For clipping nails a lot of people do it while they give their hedgie a foot bath. As for getting the poop out of the paws give your baby a foot bath. Do not fill it up too much an inch should do. Just enough to cover their paws.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also when giving a footbath ~ to help get stubborn poo off their feet, I find laying a small face cloth or mat in the bottom of the bowl for them works. When they walk around on it, it helps loosen off the poo. This is also good if your hedgie hates water (my boy acts completely different in a shallow footbath compared to a proper bath, he hates the last!). I think the mat helps them feel more comfortable so they're not sliding around. Also a soft bristle toothbrush works well on poopy feet, just do it very gently. If he won't let you near his feet, try distracting him with his food/a treat, this works for me

Also if you feel your hedgie is favouring your boyfriend over you, try putting a tshirt you've worn to bed for a couple days in his cage and this will help him get used to your scent. Also offer him lots of treats by hand (use a small dish to avoid any bites!) and I'm sure that will win him over eventually. Our hedgie uses my boyfriend's lap as a toilet most the time when he's out cuddling with us but I like to think he favours us both equally
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in