Bleeding nipple - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Bleeding nipple

My hedgehog brilla had three babies on august 7th, and theyre starting to grow teeth. i went into her room about 10 minutes ago and she was very hyper, and antsy, and trying to climb up the cage which she never usually does. as she was reaching up i noticed her top left nipple is very irritated and sore, and was bleeding. i called the emergency pet line and they were no help. i separated her from her babies just for a temporary time but i dont know when to put her back in the cage as she is throwing out the only boy of the litter and he is alone and outside the nest. shes in a towel in a tupperware container as we speak and shes calming down slowly.
cheyannevanveen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bleeding nipple

Babies can latch on pretty good, she may have just jumped up for some reason and the baby tugged on it too hard. At this point though you can't keep the babies away from her, you can't treat the nipple with anything since the babies still need to nurse... I'd say just put her back, and just try to keep an eye on it. If it stays worse or gets worse you should really try to get in contact with a good exotics vet who can give you further advice for what you can do to help it heal or help her cope until the babies wean. She may just heal up on her own. I hope it's nothing serious!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed. Teething is part of the eventual weaning process - it becomes unpleasant for the mama to nurse and that's what gets her to encourage the babies to be independent. They're still too young to be away from her for more than an hour, maybe two or three at the most - the length of time between nursing sessions, basically. Keep an eye on it, and definitely call your vet if it starts to look infected, but don't keep her apart from the babies.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

thank you guys! ill keep her in the cage but i still cant figure out why she is so hyperactive, more than usual. i know i shouldnt but i put the wheel back in the cage and im keeping a good eye on it, i just cant have her climbing on the walls of the cage because im scared of her breaking a leg. the only way she wont climb is if she is running.
cheyannevanveen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

She may be getting antsy. When babies are 3-4 weeks old, some mamas can start to show signs of getting kind of bothered by the whole motherhood thing. Wanting some time away from the babies, etc. Hasn't happened to us (yet) but I know for our mentor, she had one who was trying to climb out of the cage but would be more patient and go back to the nest after being fed or getting a few treats. It's worth a try. If you aren't already, you should be handling the babies a few times a day, and that will also give her a little respite from them.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in