Is a heat lamp necessary? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is a heat lamp necessary?

I have had my hedgie for almost 1 1/2 Years. I have been telling my mother that i need to get him a heat lamp but she says it will burn the house down. -_- Are there any other options for me? That are 'less dangerous'

I'm a rag-a-muffin child.
Pointed finger-painted smile.
I left my shadow waiting down the road for me a while...
ImaRagamuffinChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Is a heat lamp necessary?

Not that will heat consistently. Get a ceramic heat emitter. They don't get that hot (I can handle the lamp when it's on) and just using common sense of not having anything around it will keep your house from burning down.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Told her that...then she added "no electrical appliances'

What am I supposed to do??

I'm a rag-a-muffin child.
Pointed finger-painted smile.
I left my shadow waiting down the road for me a while...
ImaRagamuffinChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, you can just keep the heat at or above 70 F all the time, at least in that room...The only other choice I can think of (which is also an electrical appliance) would be to put a heating pad under 1/2 of her cage. They are pretty safe these days and I think they have emergency shutoff built in so that it won't burn the house down. I guess the best bet would be to keep the thermostat turned up more...hopefully she will agree to that. How cold does your house get? Where are you located?
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

You never want to use a heating pad like that for an extended period of time. It's a major fire hazard, and most of them shut off after some time.
Either you keep the room temperature at or around 75F or get the CHE. There's really no other ways of properly heating the cage.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

A CHE with a thermostat that will regulate the temperature really is the best option, hopefully your mom will come to understand that. If there is still absolutely no way of getting one, keep the whole room at a constant 75F with whatever heat you use to heat the house. If it is drafty, use extra fleece for your hedgie to burrow into and cover part (not all) of the cage with some fleece to keep drafts out. There are also microwaveable heating pads that you can use on particularly cold nights, just make sure you don't get them too hot and follow the directions carefully, one brand is called SnuggleSafe: http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Import ... roduct_top
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

To be honest, a CHE is really the safest method - heating pads won't heat the entire cage like what's needed and can short out or may have auto shut-off. Space heaters, especially the cheaper ones, can be dangerous. The more expensive ones are safer, but still, more expensive and it's heating the entire room. They're also more expensive to run. CHEs use about the same amount of power as a regular lamp being on, they're not a fire hazard as long as you have the proper equipment (a thermostat that can handle the wattage, a lamp that's rated safe for CHEs, which you can find at both Petsmart and Petco, and plug the thermostat into the wall, not a power strip), and keep anything away from falling on them. You can even zip tie or clamp the lamp to the top of the cage if you want, which will keep it from falling or being knocked off. I can understand her concerns and my mom also had them when I first got heating supplies for Lily (as well as being concerned about the cost), but it IS necessary. Your hedgie may have been fine until now, but I think they do tend to get more temperature-sensitive as they get older and it's best to be proactive than go through one or more hibernation attempts before getting things set up.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue

tell your mother to keep the house at 75 degrees or you will have to do it. if she refuses both, don't listen to her, the hedgehog needs to keep the temperature to survive
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also If the CHE is on a thermostat then it shouldn't be able to burn anything down.
TitustheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Unless you plan on doing jumping jacks all night to generate heat in your hedgehog's room, there aren't any non-electrical appliances aside from an actual fire pit (hahaha, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't go over well, along with all the reasons that would be horrible for a hedgie's health ) that you can heat the room with. Maybe just try to convince her that the heaters made nowadays are not as unreliable as ones in the past? Space heaters have stuff like overheat protection and some turn off when they're tipped over, CHEs are just like a hot lightbulb that produces no light... is she paranoid of light bulbs? TBH, you might be able to get away with a CHE if she isn't observant... just tell her you got a lamp to put on the cage but don't have anything in it yet. The CHE doesn't produce any light so unless she looks close she wouldn't even be able to tell!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in