Quillson Staying Cool - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quillson Staying Cool

Hey guys. Quillson is still doing good despite being blind, but there's a problem. We seem to have to warm him up about every other day at some point in the day or night. The room that he's in we keep a close eye on the temperature. It stays warm in there. We even tried turning a ceramic heater on near his cage. We've tried blankets in his cage that he'll scoot and lay on the bare cage floor. Tried draping baby blankets on sides of the cage to make sure no cool air was hitting him. I'm not sure what else to do to keep him warm. He'll be three in November. I do keep light on in the room but I don't think it helps with him being blind. His cage is on a cage stand and I'm not sure what else to try. Has anyone had this kind of problem? He acts normal and I've been keeping an eye for any health issues. When he's rolled up tight and huffing when we go to check on him or get him out that's usually when he's cool.
Any advice is appreciated. I worry about the little guy and I want to do everything possible. I just can't understand with a warm room and the heater that he's still gets cool.
Darth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quillson Staying Cool

What temperature is the cage? He might just be particularly sensitive and need it to be warmer than most hedgehogs do.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with Moxie, he might need it even warmer. Once Lily started getting older, 2.5-3 years old, I had to keep turning the heat higher & higher on her CHE. We ended up keeping it at 78-81 in her cage in order for her to be comfortable and avoid hibernation attempts. That required two CHEs on her cage (a C&C cage, and with blankets draped around to help hold in heat, but away from the CHEs) and a space heater keeping my room to 74-75 degrees in order for the CHEs to keep her cage warm enough. The last couple months I added a heating pad under her igloo since I woke her up once and she was slightly cool.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd say it stays in the 70s in his cage at least or I'm pretty sure it does. I thought about a heating pad. Does it need to be in the cage or underneath the cage? Its a plastic bottom cage.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

"pretty sure" doesn't quite cut it, not when it seems like your hedgie is temperature sensitive. You need a good thermometer in the cage to tell you exactly what the temperature is.

70 to 79 is a huge difference, so you need to be more specific than 70's.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ditto what Immortalia said. Also, unless you're using a built-in thermostat/heater in the room and regulate it closely (which is what we do for our hedgehog room), there's going to be some fluctuation in the temperature, and it can drop a good bit at night. You also need to have a thermometer in the cage, if you don't already, because the temperature displayed on a wall thermostat is often inaccurate when compared to the location of a cage. Older hedgehogs can sometimes not just need higher temperatures than they used to (like Lilysmommy described perfectly from her own experience), but they can also be much more sensitive to small changes in temperature.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
"pretty sure" doesn't quite cut it, not when it seems like your hedgie is temperature sensitive. You need a good thermometer in the cage to tell you exactly what the temperature is.

70 to 79 is a huge difference, so you need to be more specific than 70's.

When I responded, I was at least trying to figure out the temperature of his cage currently. I'm not sure why the attitude toward me. Let me tell you this, I've had hedgehogs before and this is the first time I've dealt with such a problem. That's why I posted asking a few questions.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader

When I responded, I was at least trying to figure out the temperature of his cage currently. I'm not sure why the attitude toward me. Let me tell you this, I've had hedgehogs before and this is the first time I've dealt with such a problem. That's why I posted asking a few questions.
If you thought there was attitude, I apologize, as it was not intended. It was short, blunt and to the point, which is how most of my replies are when I make them from my phone. And especially in the throwing around idea stage of questions, I do tend to throw out random ideas, which may be short, which may only consist of one line or one question to learn more of the situation. Temperatures do tend to be a topic of more urgency, so in those types of threads, I do tend to be more straight to the point when asking for more information on the situation, so ideas can be tossed around faster.

However, it IS hard to know exactly how we can help you, when we don't know the specifics. Is the temperature in the low 70's or the high 70's? Without knowing this, we don't really know how else to proceed.

Example, if it's in the lower 70's and you wish to add a heat pad, it would make matters worse. Because then the air would still be cool, while the sleeing area is toasty warm, which will trigger more inactiveness, and possible chills, which can lead to uri's and then pneumonia, then death. So essentially, I personally would not suggest using a heat pad in this situation. I would lean more towards getting an oil-filled space heater to heat the entire room, as well as a CHE setup (so fill in one or the other depending on what you already have), and use both to increase the ambient air temperature, as explained by Kelsey up above. Then and only then will it be safe to use a heating pad.

Now, if you are in the 78-79 range, then by all means, try with a heat pad under the plastic, but only a corner/section of the cage or bed area. You still want to leave an area that is not warmed.

So see, with the lack of temperature information, I would need to type all that to cover the bases. I was hoping that with an idea on temperature, I could type less if I were to check this once more on my phone.

Again, sorry if you thought I was being rude. I only wanted to get to the bottom on the matter as quickly as possible so your hedgie does not have temperature issues.

Good luck.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in