New Hoglet! Question - Quilling or Mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hoglet! Question - Quilling or Mites?

Hey everyone! I just brought home my new baby hedgie today! His name is Wilson. He is my first and I've been researching them for quite a while before taking the plunge. He is only 5 1/2 weeks old and they said he's starting to quill. He's eating and drinking already, his poop is firm and brown, and he's already peed. When holding him, he looks very bare between his baby quills and his fur isn't very thick yet. After poking around on here I saw a picture that looked very similar to Wilson, but that hedgie was much older. I've attached pictures and was wondering if you think it's just normal quilling and growing in his fur, or if it could be mites. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Also, it's been a while since I've held an adult and can't remember, but are their adult quills get any less sharp than the baby ones?

[attachment=2:79h26ewm]Wilson 1.jpg[/attachment:79h26ewm]
[attachment=1:79h26ewm]Wilson 2.jpg[/attachment:79h26ewm]
[attachment=0:79h26ewm]Wilson 3.jpg[/attachment:79h26ewm]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilson 1.jpg (131.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Wilson 2.jpg (100.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Wilson 3.jpg (100.1 KB, 38 views)
kfitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Hoglet! Question - Quilling or Mites?

Welcome to HHC and congrats on your new guy! Wilson is adorable. Some babies during quilling have a thinner coat than others, so right now I wouldn't worry too much. He should start growing in adult quills soon, and if not, or if he starts itching and scratching excessively, your best bet would be to go to the vet for a skin scrape to rule out any parasites. Hopefully he's just inbetween losing and growing in quills, though.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, adult quills are indeed less sharp than baby ones. Although, some adults do have rather beastly quills. Adult quills are a bit thicker and stiffer and less pokey

Ladies

Gentlemen
Tabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your replies! I was looking really closely at him and his skin wasn't red, inflamed, or irritated, and I haven't seen him itching, so I think you're right about just being quilling. I'll keep an eye on it though. How long should I wait before trying to give him a bath, or even a foot bath? I just got him yesterday, so I was thinking of giving him about a week? I just don't want to let his skin get too dry, plus his one foot is a little poopy.

Also, good to hear that the adult quills aren't as sharp. I'm relating his now to puppy teeth - so tiny and so sharp! Once he gets used to me and lets his quills lay flat, it shouldn't be as spiny either.
kfitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

We just brought our baby home tuesday and she has the same thing going on with her quills, slightly lighter coat. But i am very glad to hear adult quils are not as sharp as baby quills haha, my fiance went in to pet her the first day (big mistake) and she got him good. We now relax with her in a nice big piece of fleece and pet her with a corner of it until she is a bit more bonded

njdepietro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Adult quills can be very sharp, if the hedgehog doesn't get much handling. It's not that they're less sharp, they just get blunted over time. We have one girl who was a rehome - originally from a breeder we know well, but owned first by someone who didn't handle her very much. She's 6 months old and nearly as spiky as our 8-week-olds.

Anyway, to the original question - looks completely normal. Babies tend to have somewhat sparse quills as the new ones are coming in, which is more visible when they're not flat. If you start seeing uneven patches of baldness, that's a bad sign, but as long as the quills he has are evenly spaced out it's normal. He should get a more dense coat of quills when the adult ones come in, but some hedgehogs will always be a bit on the sparse side and have their skin more visible when their quills aren't flat.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in