Scratch Scratch Scratch - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scratch Scratch Scratch

I've had my hedgie Donner for about 11 months and just the past couple days I noticed he was scratching a bit. He hadn't had a bath in two or three weeks so he was bathed just tonight (we used the Aveeno Eczema Oatmeal bath) and we noticed a small sore in his armpit during the bath. After we dried him off he became extremely erratic (more so than usual) and he is continuing to scratch along with frequent trips to his litter pan to roll around and shaking like a dog does when he (the dog) gets wet. We are in a different part of the state right now for snowbirds season and were wondering if perhaps the quality of the water could be irritating him more or if there is any other explaination? There is no sign of mites (we use fleece and his litter is critter care pellets) and no other area of his skin appears red or irritated. We'd like to try and keep a visit to the vet as a last resort but if it keeps going on for another day or so we'll go to see what we can do
LadyDesDes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Adendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDesDes View Post
I've had my hedgie Donner for about 11 months and just the past couple days I noticed he was scratching a bit. He hadn't had a bath in two or three weeks so he was bathed just tonight (we used the Aveeno Eczema Oatmeal bath) and we noticed a small sore in his armpit during the bath. After we dried him off he became extremely erratic (more so than usual) and he is continuing to scratch along with frequent trips to his litter pan to roll around and shaking like a dog does when he (the dog) gets wet. We are in a different part of the state right now for snowbirds season and were wondering if perhaps the quality of the water could be irritating him more or if there is any other explaination? There is no sign of mites (we use fleece and his litter is critter care pellets) and no other area of his skin appears red or irritated. We'd like to try and keep a visit to the vet as a last resort but if it keeps going on for another day or so we'll go to see what we can do
I have also never witnessed him quill, we did pick him up when he was a month old and that was the only time we ever saw him lose a few quills. Is it possibly a bad quilling? I have read multiple posts with conflicting information saying that older hedgies (over 12 weeks) shouldn't quill and others that say the quilling process happens every 2.5-3 months.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello! Sorry to hear that Donner has been itchy.

Itchy and dry skin is very common for hedgehogs. I would suggest that you keep an eye on him (especially on the small "sore" spot). Notice any changes in size or colour. If there are changes, I would suggest bringing him to the vet ASAP. They could also do a general checkup and skin scrapping. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the water quality...?

As for quilling...my hedgehog Hezzie is about 11 months and he is going through the "1 year" stage of quilling. He loses several quills (5-8) a day... and I can definitely see new quills popping up. It is quite an uncomfortable process for them.. continue to use the Aveeno Oatmeal and also Olive oil/coconut oil in the bath water helps as well.
esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
Hello! Sorry to hear that Donner has been itchy.

Itchy and dry skin is very common for hedgehogs. I would suggest that you keep an eye on him (especially on the small "sore" spot). Notice any changes in size or colour. If there are changes, I would suggest bringing him to the vet ASAP. They could also do a general checkup and skin scrapping. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the water quality...?

As for quilling...my hedgehog Hezzie is about 11 months and he is going through the "1 year" stage of quilling. He loses several quills (5-8) a day... and I can definitely see new quills popping up. It is quite an uncomfortable process for them.. continue to use the Aveeno Oatmeal and also Olive oil/coconut oil in the bath water helps as well.
That's a breath of relief knowing there's a one year quilling stage that I haven't read or heard about from anyone else. We checked on him this morning and the sore was gone, later this afternoon we checked again and it was back just slightly but it is much better than last night. We're still keeping an eye on him and most likely taking him to the vet tomorrow. And we'll see if there are any quills popping up. Thank you so much
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDesDes View Post
That's a breath of relief knowing there's a one year quilling stage that I haven't read or heard about from anyone else. We checked on him this morning and the sore was gone, later this afternoon we checked again and it was back just slightly but it is much better than last night. We're still keeping an eye on him and most likely taking him to the vet tomorrow. And we'll see if there are any quills popping up. Thank you so much

My pleasure! It's a strange thing the "1 year quilling" .. but I have read other hedgie owners have gone through the same thing. I have included some links below... Just to let you know that Hezzie has been very huffy during the time.. and grumpy (always trying to escape/not be held). It might be a good idea to do all you can to help sooth the skin + keep an eye out for quills being lost.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...-quilling.html

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...-quilling.html
esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in