Do hedgehog have lazy days? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do hedgehog have lazy days?

My hedgehog Splat started last night normally but stayed in her hide all night after about 10:30 pm. I noticed this morning when I checked her surveillance camera.

Worried that she was hibernating, I woke her up to check on her. I thought her belly was MAYBE cool but that could easily be my imagination. She obviously was not pleased to have been woken up and did a sneaky crouched walk into her tunnel where she sat looking at me, licking her lips.

Then I gave her a mealworm, which she ate just as voraciously as ever. Still worried, I tried to have her lay on my stomach under some blankets, but she just wanted to explore the blankets and anoint my shirt. I finally gave up and let her go back to sleep in her cage.

I decided to ask you guys and wait to see if she's back to normal tonight. If not, she'll go to the vet in the morning.

- 6 sq ft critter nation cage
- Temperature of 76-77 F with a CHE to supplement the 76F room temperature.
- 8:00 am - 7:30 pm light schedule
- 5 months old
- weighs 320-330 g consistently for the last 2 weeks (steadily gained weight before)
- poop looks normal
- no new foods. Yesterday she ate a small discoid roach and a normal portion of kibble given the brief time she as awake.
- normally active between 8/9pm and 6/7am in intervals of ~1 hour active and ~1-2 hours sleeping
Wombley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

How's your little girl now, did you take her to vet?

I'm no expert, but maybe you could try increasing her light schedule? It is recommended they get 12-14 hours of light so this should be provided by artificial light (a table lamp or the ceiling light) since natural sunlight isn't consistent. Also what time do you have bonding time if lights are out at 7.30pm? If you want her to be not so lively I'd keep a dull light on during bonding time. My hedgie sleeps until 10pm-ish when I have to manually wake him up and then he comes out and bonds with us until about midnight, during which point he just wants to eat, sleep and snuggle on our laps in his sleeping sack and get lots of massages . He's only active when the lights are off after midnight and we've gone to bed. Maybe try using a sleeping sack or some other bed she can hide in whilst out with you so she feels more secure whilst she's out. If I don't have the sleeping sack out, my boy just tries to find somewhere he can hide under haha, and as soon as I put the sleeping sack on my lap he woddles straight into it and then waits to be massaged ^.^
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in