Hershey is bleeding internally? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hershey is bleeding internally?

It's in the middle of the night; I've been crying for hours. I'm so worried about my little girl and pray someone can help me.

I checked on her a few hours ago and there was blood all over her bedding and where she goes to the bathroom. This wasn't small 'footstep' marks; this looks like streaked, dried blood. I immediately began to panic, uncovering her from her fleece scraps. She started to hiss and and even bit me twice. She has never bitten me; always been calm and okay with me. She's been running around the cage in turmoil, pulling at her liner, digging and chewing on herself in panic behavior. I saw her go poop and there was blood. It wasn't mucusy, but bright red. I'm really scared right now. She's not acting anything like herself-- panicked, aggressive, practically climbing the bars of her cage to get out or see-- I don't know.

Last month, she had a UTI which I was given anti-biotics for from the only vet in the local area that deals with hedgehogs. (I live in Maine; hedgehogs aren't legal here and there aren't many vets that deal with them.) He has absolutely no tact or empathy when I saw him last. I thought the problem cleared up as when she peed in the footbath, there was no blood. Now there's heavy blood in her stool-- and she's acting bizarre and unlike her. She hasn't settled down at all; when I go near the cage or say her name, she hisses hysterically and pops frantically.

The emergency vet clinics (I called before posting this) have nobody with exotic pets experience to help me. Each referred me to a different clinic in different parts of the state-- even hours away-- and none had any way of helping me and only wished me luck and to call the vet in the morning when I could.

I love my Hershey more than anything. I take good care of her, give her lots of love and healthy food that I still buy from the breeder. She's a good weight, has been eating and drinking, but stopped wheeling days ago. Her stools have been a normal brown until now. I don't think this is constipation. There is way too much blood to just be a tear from an oversized poo. I'm terrified that it could be internal bleeding or worse. I'm so scared, guys. Someone please help me out!

Will she make it to morning? How serious is this?
sneakmode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hershey is bleeding internally?

I'm sorry...I have no advice to give, but just wanted to post to say I'm thinking of you and Hershey. All I can think of is just getting her to the vet as soon as you possibly can. Can you try calling around to emergency vets again and see if there's even anyone with experience with just small mammals like rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.? It really does sound like an emergency and they might be able to help even a little bit as opposed to doing nothing. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

Edited to add a few links I found -
http://hedgehogwelfare.org/vets_by_state.asp?s=ME
http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm

Have you already tried the vets listed in both of those links?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I actually live in Brewer, so when Hershey got her UTI last month, that's where I went to take her. The receptionists were so kind, but the vet himself was absolutely horrid in his tact. I'd prefer not to take her there again, but the other vets are quite a long trip from here. I'm so terrified of losing my little girl. She's my whole world.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Personally this is the sort of issue that I would drove to my emergency vet (I, well my ex, brought in Litchi in emergency for anorexia and green poop and it was serious). I could lecture you on how it's a bad idea to have an illegal pet, but that won't change the fact that she's sick and need assistance. Is there University Vet hospital near you that might teach exotics vet? (my emergency hospital was the vet school open 24/7). Is your breeder in your area? He/She surely knows an emergency vet in case birthing goes wrong.

I can't tell you if she's gonna make it or not, I think no one will.

Best of luck

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have all her paperwork and importation information; I purchased her legally of course. I went through a lot to bring her home from out of state. The breeder lives in New Hampshire and was very helpful during her UTI when I called for questions. Unfortunately, it's late at this time, so I won't be able to do that.

The only emergency vet within 3 hours is located here in my city, of which, they have no staff for exotic pets at that clinic. Only during the day at the other clinic to they have the person with the experience to handle hedgehogs.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Even if the vet is rude, I would give them a call anyway. This is a serious emergency and I think it's worth dealing with a jerky vet to get her care if you can't find anyplace else to take her. Even a rude vet might be able to help her.

Edit: Personally I'd try calling the breeder anyway - if she's a good breeder who loves hedgehogs, I would think she'd understand a late-night call for an emergency like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd call them first thing in the morning explaining she needs an apointment quickly. I guess there not much else you can do

Fingers crossed for Hershey.

edit: I agree with Lilysmommy, better deal with a rude vet than a dead pet.
edit2: is New Hampire not too far from you? Maybe you could try vet there (sorry I suck at USA geography)

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Brewer Vet Clinic opens at 7:00am, I plan to call them exactly as the doors open. I definitely won't put his demeanor over her emergency health issues. I just hope she'll be okay for the next 8 hours until then. I gave her fresh water and food, which she's been sparsely nibbling at. I'm hoping with prayer.

EDIT: Though I'm still scared, I've sufficiently calmed down now. I really appreciate this from both of you.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
kat

when my hedgie had an emergency (blood was coming out of her girl part) i rushed her to the emergency vet. no exotic vet was available at the time (it was 2am) but they controlled the bleeding and gave her supportive measures until the exotic vet was able to see her in the morning.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
kat

the blood coming out of Mustard was no small amount either.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in