Vomit or diarrhea? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blondie0530

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone, I have a vet appointment booked in a few days (quickest I could get in) for a general check up and what not, but in the mean time I figured I would turn here for some advice.

Sometimes when I feed Larry worms (mealworms or superworms) I see this on his blanket an hour or so later (picture attached). I can't tell if this is vomit or the runs, I am never able to hear him do anything (dry heave, etc) and it doesn't seem to continue on, it's just a one time thing and that's that. Everything else is completely normal with him and this doesn't always happen.

I'm just wondering if maybe he is still adjusting to superworms (I just recently began feeding these) as I can't remember the last time this happened with mealworms... Is this "normal"? Should I avoid feeding them to him - I'm feeding them in order to help him gain some weight since he's not a fan of new cat foods. Should I only give him one or half? Any advice would be helpful as I want to feed him these daily to help with weight gain (if able to) and the vet is still a few days away...

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170927_231901_1506577414713.jpg (59.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by blondie0530; 09-28-2017 at 02:44 AM.
blondie0530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

My boy also does this ><. I also usually don't see or hear him doing it but generally find these patches (at least once a week). I have seen him yack up his food which is (superworms mixed with cat food) and he straightaway eats it back up lol, if I don't get to it first and remove it! >< so I believe it is vomit, it's a patch because he's also re-eaten it, gross I know!

I'm not entirely sure why my boy does this, if he eats too much too quickly? For the times when I'm feeding him during bonding time and it happens, it's quite rare, I guess he just gobbles it down too quickly? The times I find the sick patch is when I get him out in the evening so it's happened at some point in the day or earlier on in the evening and I think it might be because he's eaten too much as I notice it mostly happens whenever I offer him an insect treat during the day (I guess it would be like us eating something at 2 or 4am, probably doesn't always sit well?). Plus he eats quite a lot during the night nowadays so he doesn't really eat anything during the day anymore (his dry cat kibble Im still trying to offer him is always untouched), but if he does eat a little kibble, which is the pieces of mazzuri I'm still trying to get him off (*sigh*), he normally vomits afterwards I've noticed.

I'm no expert and learning as I go so I have no idea if my theory is correct so just run it by the vet when you go and keep an eye on him in the meantime, also someone with more experience might understand more on why they do this? But my guess is if you've recently just introduced superworms and he's quite small, then maybe it's just too much food for him, how many are you giving him a night and do you cut the heads off? Try gradually increasing his food intake, so just feed them as treats a few times a week initially until he is used to processing them. I also feed live superworms everyday which helped my boy put on weight but initially I was giving them him as a treat maybe 3 times a week (just one superworm a night, cut up into pieces ~ I was using it for bonding time, offering him it on a dish) and then gradually gave them every night, then I started mixing them with his cat food instead, as discovered this thankfully made him eat his kibble, as he also hates cat food on its own! Then after 1 or so months I increased superworms to two per a night in his food (still cut up), with occasional extra insects in his cage as foraging treats (these are whole)

Hope this helps! ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks you for your advice and for the reassurance that someone else is experiencing this! I'm onlynfeeding him 3 worms so maybe I'll do what you did and see if this improves for him!
Yukidama's mama likes this.
blondie0530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in