dry skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tali_luvs_hedgies Send a message via Yahoo to tali_luvs_hedgies
Default dry skin

Primrose has really dry sky. I don't know what it is.... and there's no mites that I see.

tali_luvs_hedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: dry skin

If it's not mites, then you could help remedy the problem with a moisturizing bath.

First wash with Aveeno Moisturizing body wash, rinse with water, then soak with a few drops of Aveeno Skin Relief Shower and Bath oil, rinse. You'll find that it's quite moisturizing for the dry skin.

Also, if you use carefresh, then switch to fleece liners. Carefresh tend to dry out the skin a lot.

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgehogs can be prone to dry skin, particularly during certain times of the year (depending on the area). Where we are it gets very dry in winter, and we're having a bit of a dry spell right now too.

Flaxseed oil is a common first remedy to try. You can put a few drops on the food, directly on the skin after a bath, or in the rinse water of a bath. If you try that, be sure to buy it in capsules, not a bottle of the liquid because that goes rancid quickly. Personally I prefer Humilac, a topical spray for dry skin in cats and dogs. There's also one called Sunshine Factor, which I think is designed for birds - I haven't tried it and can't comment on it, but I've had great results with Humilac. A few sprays every few days (with the quills parted or when they're in a ball, so it gets to the skin) does wonders for mild dry skin, and I've used it daily for bad cases.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tali_luvs_hedgies Send a message via Yahoo to tali_luvs_hedgies

Thank you

Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think Penelope is having the same problem right now. I was watching her last night, and she was scratching like crazy. Of course, I was instantly concerned about mites, but I'm thinking it's just dry skin. I've heard of people using a little bit of Olive Oil too. Is that okay?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bo has dry skin. I gave him a bath where I mixed a little olive oil into the water and his skin looks much better. The only problem is, the oil stuck to his spines and rubbed off on my hands for the first couple of days. He also self-annointed over himself right afterwards
battag21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

There are lots of different oils out there safe for animals, but just keep an eye on your hedgie the first time you use it in the rare care that it's allergic/sensitive to the new oil. I've noticed that a few hedgies seem to be sensitive to the flax oil, I'm not sure why. So just keep an eye on it if you decide to try it out.

A plain handful of the dry oatmeal (the shreddier/quick cooking kind) in the water is also good for dry skin when you're bathing your hedgie, but I have Aveeno products at home for my use so I use those for Poggles too.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Oil types?

I know there's a ton of oils out there that are animal safe, but can I use Fish Oil for dry skin? Nova's ears are looking a little dry, and I don't want them to crack.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I used veggie.oil and she has been fine the last few days and no dry flakes.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh good, I'm glad something worked. I've never heard of someone using vegetable oil before, so it's good to know that it works.

As for fish oil... I've never heard that used before either. My suspicion is that your hedgehog would smell very foul afterwards. Very fishy, I would think... I avoid fish/seafood in Poggles food because I heard that it makes his poop smellier, so using fish oil to moisturize his skin just sounds like I'm coating him in stench... lol...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in