Light weight - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Light weight

Hi there, my hedgie is 11 months old ( so I think ) as we got him from
Someone, he?s 174gs and he wasn?t eating much for a couple days as I think he was constipated gave him some pumpkin and he?s pooped. He?s thin... vet says he fine but I think she?s an idiot... I?ve put him on a mixture of kitten food with adult food, 25%kitten and 75% adult for today the kitten food is about 40%protein and 18%fat... he is a runner so I?ve taken his wheel out anything else I can be doing?
Shortease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My boy is the same age and is a petit size hog but his lowest weight was 260g which I thought was quite small so 174g does sound very small indeed. But I believe the best way to tell if they are underweight is there body shape rather than just looking at their weight, since all hogs come in different shapes and sizes! For example if the body caves in like this ) ( then they are underweight. If their body is more straight like this | | then they need to put on some weight. Their ideal shape is a teardrop, round around the bottom end and tear shape towards their head.

I just posted an update on my boy's weight and diet issues so you might find it useful to read. I believe taking out the wheel can have a negative effect, causing them to not eat so I would suggest putting it back in. With adding new food, I'd do it really slowly if he is a picky eater, as it caused me so many problems switching my boy's food too fast, which resulted in a food strike. Luckily for me, my boy absolutely loves insects at least! And I think this is what has helped him gain so much weight (maybe a bit too much haha, but I'm happy he's eating his whole dish of food every night now)

There are sticky posts with lots of insects information which will help you decide which ones are best in the diet and nutrition section on the forum but sounds like he could do with some of the fattier ones like mealworms, superworms and wax worms, wax worms being one of the fattiest. Also someone recommended scrabbled eggs as another food to help them put on some weight.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

He?s starting to cave in by the hips.
And he?s got idk loose skin? Vet was an idiot and didn?t help much. She told me to feed him two or three pieces of cat kibble and five to sox meal worms a day....

Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Caving in the hips is not good. You want your hedgehog to be at a tear shape. Three kibbles? That vet is incorrect. You need to feed your hedgie a good amount of high quality cat food daily. People in the forums usually free-feed their hedgies because hedgies rarely overeat. The vet doesn't sound very good to me. I suggest you seek a new exotic vet.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nearest vet that the breeder i got my other one from is like 2 hour drive there which is hard to have four hours to travel, but next time that?s where I?ll go. I was kinda pissed she said that, she also told me a bunch of other things that I don?t beleive were correct. he?s doing better today, i was free feeding him but then he stopped eating, When he wasn?t pooping. He?s ate 4 mealworms this morning as well as a lot of kibble,. Maybe he wasn?t wanting food cause he was constipated, full of life today... I think my kitchen scale is wrong cause it says 283g this morning....so I will be buying a new one tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

If he seems constipated get unseasoned canned pumpkin to help him get relief. It's good that you decided to free-feed him. You did the right thing. The vet doesn't seem too knowledgeable with hedgehogs. Make sure that you're changing the food and water daily. Just leave the food and water in two separate bowls. Fresh food and water must always be available for your hedgehog at all times.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow yeah that vet doesn't sound very knowledgeable, please don't take him back to her! 2-3 cat kibbles is no where near enough food, I believe they need to be eating at least 25g of food a day, but you should just free feed. You could also try moving his food bowl into his sleeping area as I found this encouraged my lazy boy to eat during the day, since he won't come out in the daylight.

Some more ways to help him relieve himself, try giving him a warm shallow bath, like a footbath ~ most hedgies will relieve themselves in the warm water. My boy always does longer poops in his footbath compared to the ones in his litter tray! ^^ Also since I feed his food as a wet mix with a little water, this helps him get more fluids in him as he barely touches his water dish. If your boy isn't a big drinker, he may be a little dehydrated which can cause constipation. Maybe you could try adding a little water to his cat kibble, this will also soften it making it easier for him to eat. I believe hedgehogs rely on getting the majority of fluids from their food source which cat food obviously lacks, so this is why it's important to feed insects where possible as part of their main diet or some veggies if they'll eat them. Also what mealworms do you use, are they freeze-dried by any chance? As freeze dried ones can cause constipation and even lead to impactation if fed too many too often so this might be the cause? Try using canned or even better live ones and I really do recommend trying to get other fattier insects to help him gain some more weight,. Really helped my boy and he loves them too ~ you can order them online or buy from pet stores.

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 09-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

He had pumpkin ( which the vet told
Me not to feed him @[email protected] ) he?s getting 100 kibble each night just so I can keep track of what he is eating to make sure he?s eating will probably go back to free feeding him tomorrow since he?s been doing well for two days. He gets Fresh water daily amazing how Facebook or online forums seem to help more then a vet...
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am feeding him live meal worms and I won?t feed frozen or dehydrated... also he does once in a while get can of juicy crickets ^ and trust me I won?t be going back to that vet.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

And foot baths helped him the second time the first time you could see him pushing so hard I thought he was going to prolapse !! thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I?m looking into hunting down wax worms but I?m in a rural part of Canada so finding anything is hard up here lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in