The basics of quilling? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The basics of quilling?

Hey guys, so i keep looking around for a place that has info on quilling, but cant find any. Could i just get some general information on it? Like what i should be expecting, looking for, concerned about? My little Junie is 9 weeks and so far i have found about 30-40 quills in her cage from the last 2 to 3 days. Is that normal? I also heard something about there being a ball on the end of the quills? Because i looked, and they didn't have that.I guess I would just like to know anything anyone can offer up about quilling. Thanks
sabine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default The basics of quilling?

Oh and two more things: My girl keeps licking...i can't tell if shes just licking around her mouth (bc it happens most when eating), or if she is licking her nose. Her nose is always pretty wet, but if shes licking it, should I take her to the vet?
Are hedgie tongues supposed to be a pale pink, or a brighter more fleshy pink? Junipers tongue is rather on the pale side, and its been worrying me.
sabine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: The basics of quilling?

The heaviest quilling happened about 9-12 weeks old, and it's the one hedgehog owners usually see their hedgie's experiencing. However, it differs from each hedgies, they can experience it much sooner or later. The old quills are shed, and the new quills grow through their skin. This is quite painful for them. By how you explained that she's losing quills, she might be quilling right now. Check her skin, if you see the quills growing then she is quilling after all (there should be quills that only halfway out through the skin). She can be quite grumpy too at this stage since it's not pleasant for her. But if you don't think she's quilling then she might have skin problem, since hedgies don't usually lose that much quills unless they are quilling.

Quilling can last weeks, or even a month or so, depends on the hedgehog. You might want to give her an oatmeal bath to help soothe her skin. At quilling stage you can give bath quite often, like once a week.

And hedgies doen't have balls at the ends of their quills!
Their nose should be moist, but do watch for discharges. They do lick their nose and lips often when eating and drinking. And their tongue is usually pink with slight pale milky touch, like how you described it. if you worry, you might want to post a photo so we can see.
aconite-pawlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in