Nail Trimming=Scarey Stuff - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Nail Trimming=Scarey Stuff

Well, I just tried to trim Penelope's nails this morning. I decided to start with the back feet since those seem to be the longest. I did successfully get four toes trimmed; two on each back foot. However, I have to say that I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I was so afraid that I was going to cut her that I stopped after I got the longest ones trimmed. I don't know how people do it who have grumpy hedgies because Penelope is so laid back that she'd let me do almost anything to her. I'm a little embarrassed that it was actually that hard for me to do. Anyone else have a fear of cutting their hedgies while trimming their toes?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Nail Trimming=Scarey Stuff

Well yeah, i guess we fear that we hurt our hedgie in some way. Usually when you accidentally clipped the quick the bleeding will stop a while after that. I did it sometimes Usually I apply styptic powder you use for dog or ferret nails. What I worry a lot is about how it will hurt and my hedgi associates nail trimming with pain.

Maybe I exaggerate, but I think trimming nails need confidence and persistence. Animals feels your anxiety, and will be nervous because of that. I believe it's the same with hedgies. Sure, my boy wriggles to no end when I try to trim his nails, but I always managed to do all nails in one go. Milkiey's digit at the outer sides of the rear paws always grow faster than the rest but unnoticed since the nail actually curls under his pads! I don't know if that happened only with my boy though.
aconite-pawlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't worry too much. First few times are really nerve wracking, but it gets easier with time and practice. Soon you'll figure out what works best with your hog

Clipping my grumpy hog's nails is still a nightmare His nails are ridiculously thick and strong, and he is just a little terror in terms of personality... so it takes about half an hour to do about two paws :P

Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I trim Poggle's nails in the bath water. The water and maybe the reflection of the light off the white ceramic sink makes it easy to see the nail in different sections. There's a see-through section, a cloudy section, and a pink section. I'm paranoid so I only ever cut the see through section. He has never bled when I do this so I'd say that the see-through section is the safest area.

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Penelope is still pretty young, so her nails weren't too bad. I am giving myself a big pat on the back though considering I did get at least four of the nails done. I think I'm going to try that bath thing sometime though. She hasn't gotten a bath yet, and she probably won't need one for a while, but if I see her nails growing too long, I might up the bath time.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

If she starts quilling, a moisturizing oatmeal bath will help make quilling more pleasant. Also, if you notice dry skin, it also helps a lot. Poggles gets one every month at minimum, and also when he has dry skin, long nails, dirty quills (ex. extreme annointing), or crunchy fur patches. It's fun bonding time for us, so I like it a lot.

Yes, it is very good that you got 4 nails in. Little by little, you'll get them all!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't worry, you're not alone. The first month or so that I had Petunia, I was so nervous even thinking about trimming her nails. That will go away with experience.

I find the best time to trim a couple of Petunia's nails is right when I wake her up in the morning to check on her. She's always a little dazed at being woken up, so she sits pretty still. I hold her up in front of a lamp and let one foot dangle from my hand and clip 2 or 3 nails until she realizes what's going on. These are what I use:

https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...p?f=69&t=16157

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurE
If she starts quilling, a moisturizing oatmeal bath will help make quilling more pleasant. Also, if you notice dry skin, it also helps a lot. Poggles gets one every month at minimum, and also when he has dry skin, long nails, dirty quills (ex. extreme annointing), or crunchy fur patches. It's fun bonding time for us, so I like it a lot.

Yes, it is very good that you got 4 nails in. Little by little, you'll get them all!
You know, I don't think I've ever seen Penelope annoint. Is that normal? Of course, I've only officially had her for one week, but I thought it was a pretty common practice with them.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

They annoint when you give them something that smells good or different. So if they have a consistent environment with no new things, they probably won't annoint much. When you start offering your hedgie some different foods, she might annoint then.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rescue

if you cut the quick, remember its their fault for being so jumpy. just stop the bleeding and give them a worm
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in