Question regarding weight - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Question regarding weight

So Emma is 12 weeks old as of yesterday. When she first came home she had a rough first week from stress and did not eat very well resulting in force feeding, a trip to the vet to ensure she was otherwise fine and her wheel being taken away(as per breeder) due to the fact that even with barely eating she was insistant on running like a crazy girl. Needless to say she is still super active at night without her wheel running laps around her cage and through her tubes and moving stuff aroung (she has a 3x2 C&C cage). She is now eating about 1.5 to almost 2 tbsp a night including a few mealies, her mix is directly from the breeder and I have added RC babycat to mix to increase fat content. So here is my concern. She has been home for 3.5 weeks now and her max weight has been 240grams and seems to stay roughly around 230 to 235grams. When she left the breeder a couple days shy of 9 weeks she weighed 229grams but did drop to almost 210 the first week and has consistently been gaining up until about a week ago and just seems to be staying at the 230-235 range despite her eating more over the last few days. She otherwise looks in great health and is still super friendly. Is it possible that she is just going to be a small girl? Her mother was about 450g and her dad larger then that. And their parents were well over 300grams as well. I am happy with the fact that she is gaining weight and guess that she is a little behind due to rough first week home but also curious if this is a normal size for a hedgie her age and what my expectations should be in terms of weight and at about what age are they at their "adult" weight. Just a concerned Mom wanting to make sure I am not missing anything. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Question regarding weight

There isn't really a normal weight, per se. I have two hedgies who are both a year old now. Brillo weighs 250g and Sugar weighs 525g...so there is quite a range...and gender doesn't seem to have much to do with it.

What you want to look at is the body shape. As long as her body isn't concave when viewed from above, ) (, you should be fine. Most hedgies have a pear shape to them, but if she is super active, she probably has a runner type body which is usually straight (Brillo is this shape).

Your hedgie is still young, so she may go through another growth spurt. So, I wouldn't worry to much. Pictures always help too...and we love gushing over babies.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

She seems to have a straight shape. Definitely not concave and her belly is pretty flat and firm, no pot belly or anything. She has a photo thread on here but not alot of her from above. Will try to take some pics of her either tonight or tomorrow from above and post to this thread. I just feel bad cause she does not have her wheel cause the breeder wants me to wait till she is closer to 300 grams but I am wondering if she will ever be that big cause she is so active and crazy. She goes from 0 to 60 in like 0.2 seconds, she is a wild sweety pie!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

D'oh! Haha, adorable hedgie! I love her pinto pattern!

From the pictures it looks like she is a healthy weight. ...and super cute!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thankyou, she is a real sweetheart and just want to do everything right by her. I work with animals and my boyfriend and I have choose not have children at least for another 5 years so our critters are our babies. I will still post more pics of her from above but she just seems like a hyper active girl. She loves to run around her cage and I want to give her her wheel back but I am afraid she will drop even more weight if I do cause she is so active.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

As long as you are weighing her frequently enough, you should be able to monitor her weight loss/ gain even with the wheel in her cage. If you notice weight loss, you can always up the ratio of the RC babycat 34. Brillo is a brat and that's all he eats. Lucky for him he's a lightweight and can nosh on high fat foods all he wants!

Remember, too, that you should try and weigh your hedgie at the same time of day. I've found that their weight can fluctuate depending on what sort of mischief they've been up too. Haha, Brillo has lost 7g after his bath...so much poop! lol, good luck!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been weighing her just before her footbaths. Maybe thinking after would be a better idea cause of so much poo, but seeing is same time guessing that does not make a huge difference. She is also due for her 12 week quill which I am sure she has started and did not eat that great last night but she is a very sensitive girl and gets upset easily. I may add a little more RC babycat to get her over this hump and then maybe re-introduce wheel. Thanks for info and it is nice to see an older hedgie out there that is teeny tiny. Makes me feel a little more at ease about her weight / craziness at night!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in