Uterine Tumor Nightmare - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Default Uterine Tumor Nightmare

Long story short, my hedgehog Tweak (female/ 4 years old) has had bloody urine for about a month. After taking her to one vet who assumed her kidneys either had a stone or we're just shutting down due to her age, we were perscribed antibiotics in case it was being caused by a UTI. About two weeks ago she gave us quite a scare because she was extremely lethargic and refused to eat or drink. We brought her back to the vet who gave her some fluid and told us there wasn't much we could do. We started syringe feeding her and after the fluid she got she had really perked up, and would even eat a piece or two of food for the next day or so. So we've been syringe feeding and watering her almost every two hours for the past two weeks and even stopped in again to the vet once to get her some more fluid. At this point she seemed to make about a 100% recovery except for the fact that she still wasn't eating or drinking on her own. Perplexed by what was happening we decided to get a second opinion from a different vet (this happened last Thursday). This vet did an x-ray on her which revealed a MASSIVE tumor in her uterus area. This vet said she could even feel it just by touching her and that the other vet should've picked up on this immediately. This revealed the reason she wasn't eating, since her gastro track
was being severely blocked by the tumor. The next step for us was to have her go through an ultrasound to see if the tumor had spread to any other parts of Tweak's body. We had this done the next day (Friday) and as far as the vet's could tell it was totally on her uterus/cervix and could be completely removed with a spaying. Needless to say we were overjoyed with this news and set up an appointment for the spaying for this Tuesday. That brings us to today (Sunday, of course the one day the vet's office is closed). This afternoon we discovered that Tweak had expelled a mass from her vagina. We first thought it was a massive poop that she had moved past the tumor but we're horrified to see that it was hanging out of her vagina. Based on the X-ray I saw it looks like it might be the entirety of the tumor. My girlfriend and I are at a bit of a loss for what to do right now. We have quarentined her from the rest of our hedgehogs and I've done some research on what happened as well as calling our vet's emergency line. From what I've read on other threads as well as what the vet said is that she should be fine with this as long as there isn't massive bleeding that could cause her to die from blood loss. The vet told us to bring her in first thing tomorrow when they're open so they can take care of it.

The thing that makes us most nervous now is that she seems to have removed a sizeable chunk of the tumor despite us trying to keep her from fussing with it. Now I have half of it in a plastic bag in the fridge to bring with us but the other half is no longer really hanging out of her but rather seems to be sitting back in her vagina. There is also slight smears of blood from where the tumor was dragging on the bottom of her cage, although now that there is nothing left to drag there isn't really any blood, and Tweak is sleeping soundly now.

Despite how graphic this is, from what I've read online and from what the vet said this doesn't sound super life threatening so I'm not super worried, but I did have a few questions about the situation. I know this is something for a vet to really handle but I'm curious after seeing other threads of people with hedgehogs that have gone through this if anyone has been through this and could provide some insight. First off is the blood smears. It really doesn't seem like a lot of blood at all and looks like it probably came from blood that might've been on the tumor rather than her actually bleeding it, but is that something I should be concerned about? Could that be something that would prevent her from making it until tomorrow? The other major concern we have is that some of the tumor is now somewhat set back into her body. Is there any issues that could arise out of that? I'm not really too sure what we should do if either these conditions could cause a problem because the vet is not open again until tomorrow and the vet said that she wouldn't recommend taking her to the only 24/7 animal hospital in the area because they might not be well equipped to handle it.

The short version:
My hedgehog expelled a massive tumor from her vagina and because the vet is closed today there's nothing we can really do currently. We called the vet who told us to wait until tomorrow and bring her in but is there any reason to be concerned for tonight? She seems like she's doing very well, maybe even better than she was before passing the tumor.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
TweaknCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
nikki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manning, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,482

I would watch her closely overnight. Watch for any signs of bleeding, internal or external. Signs of internal bleeding would be lethargy, pale gums and vomiting. If she is doing good with no signs of bleeding she should be able to wait till morning.
Retired breeder and active HWS rescue station

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Pokipie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7

Hi there! Hope this gets to you well. Recently out poki (last Friday) had an ultrasound done and has the same issue. She has not expelled the mass, thankfully. Just wondering if you would be willing to give an update? Our vet wants to watch the tumor for about a month before surgery. Thanks.
Pokipie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2019, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
nikki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manning, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,482

This thread is over 2 years old and the OP hasn't posted since then. Please check the date on a thread before posting.
Retired breeder and active HWS rescue station

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uterine Infection/ Uterine Cancer Stro1623 Bleeding, Female 3 09-08-2015 03:53 PM
Nightmare? hedgielover224 General Questions 2 03-20-2015 10:18 AM
Update on Nara's surgery-uterine tumor MomLady Bleeding, Female 2 03-24-2014 04:05 PM
Advice for surgery on 3.5 yr old--female, uterine tumor MomLady Bleeding, Female 6 02-28-2014 02:11 PM
A nightmare comes true!!! susanaproenca Off Topic 10 06-16-2011 12:17 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum