Overheating :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overheating :(

Hello!
It so happened that start with the bad: (

Hedgehog seriously ill. Now it is not clear whether survive, but I'll try to do everything possible and not possible.
This weekend was very hot (about 85). On Monday, the hedgehog has become sluggish and not sociable. Nevertheless, even in the running wheel. Of cockroaches at first refused, but after a while he ate a little bit. On Tuesday, stopped running in the wheel, he threw up white foam and I took him to the vet (with experience of working with hedgehogs.) He was diagnosed as "heat stroke". The vet said that tests are not needed, so that everything is clear.
Just yesterday, Wednesday hedgehog is not very happy but a bit ate (a mouse, and four cricket).
Today, the hedgehog is almost stopped going, refuses to eat (I have to drink through a pipette to give glucose and beef). It is seen that the condition is very serious and it is incredibly hard. A lot of weight. Breathing shallow. Eyes half closed. Almost does not move.
Now pyayus though as that support the heart and breathing with the help of injections (veterinarian wrote a prescription, no initiative).
I do not know whether he can survive this night. I really hope that at least a small chance of recovery is. I'm very accustomed to it and can not imagine what would happen if he did not have the strength.

If anyone had experience with heat stroke, or may say something, please post the information. I do not rely on medication over the Internet, if the doctor threw up his hands.

Thank you very much for your support.

Take care of your pets. It's amazing animals.

Age 2 years, big-eared (in the attached photos). Weight: 300g now much smaller
Diet: insects, little mice, vitamins, fruit (sometimes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe.jpg (185.1 KB, 79 views)
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Overheating :(

Visible improvement in the morning. There is a small appetite. He ate some insects and a little mouse. He drank from a syringe of glucose and a little medication. After half an hour threw up. Perhaps because of the drugs. Still weak, ill walk, pursing his hind legs. Injections continue to do so. I continue to do what you can ...
Apologies for the illiteracyI write through translator.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can you get a second opinion from another vet? I don't have any experience with heat stroke but I don't think 85 degrees would cause it. I hope someone with more experience can help with some input. But I would go to a different vet asap. Hope your hedgie gets better.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've never had experience with overheating/heatstroke but if it's anything like humans shouldn't they just be almost lazy for a couple of days then perk up a bit? Please keep updating on your hedgies health id love to know if the little cute thing gets well again. I hope he gets better he's so adorable
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Many thanks for your wishes.
As for the second opinion vet thought, but now no longer necessary. Begins to hiss and the hunt for crickets (as long as force is small, sometimes falls). While giving small portions. I continue to give injections to maintain the heart and circulatory system.
As for medication, and the dynamics of the disease, I will write as soon as the whole. As it turned out, many home hedgehogs were killed in those days because of the heat. Today, it is not hot. About 72 degrees.
I wish you good health!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue

my animal room is kept at 85 degrees during the day (drops to 75 at night). no problems with my hogs. your hog doesnt seem to be an african pygmy, idk if they have different temperature ranges
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your hedgehog is sooo cute!

I really hope he feels better. I know my apartments gets to be 31 degrees Cecilius some days and Willow gets super hot and sometimes becomes quite light feeling. She likes when I place a frozen water bottle wrapped in a shirt, maybe that would help you little guy next time he starts to over heat.

I would love to hear updates on how your hedgie is doing.
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Slowly recovering. Walk more confident, but still weak appetite. I noticed that now only eat soft food (mice, worms). Eat a little. For crickets and cockroaches indifferent. I think that there is a violation of the digestive system .. Bad digest chitin. Tomorrow reception at the vet and see what will give advice
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, now we can say that the health of normal. Today hedgehog interested in your normal diet (cockroaches). How much time has passed, you can see to the publication of the first post.

So, in order:
The biggest danger:
1) Heart Failure
2) Violation / respiratory arrest
3) Metabolic
4) Stop the gastrointestinal tract

In order to maintain the functioning of the heart and respiration in acute were appointed:
1) Sulfocamphocainum 10% (0.1 ml twice a day for 3 days)
2) Dexamethasone (0.1 ml twice a day for 3 days)
3) sedative (2 times a day for 7 days)
4) Glucose, oral (3-5 ml every 3 hours 3-5 days)
5) Corvalol, oral (1/2 drop every 3 hours 3-5 days)

Recovery period:
1) Maintaining the circulatory system
2) Maintaining the liver: Essentiale or analogues (2 times a day 1/4 of the capsule for 21 days).
3) warmed baby food to restore appetite.

And most importantly, do not get sick!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad your hedgehog is feeling good again! Thanks for posting the treatment orders and such as well, it's always interesting to read what is prescribed and how it works with how relatively new hedgehogs are in the pet world.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in