Help With Newborn bloating PLEASE - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help With Newborn bloating PLEASE

My 5 days old newborn hedgehog that I have been hand feeding has severe bloating. I have been feeding him KRM and he has been pooping just a tiny bit , but peeing often. Is there anything I can do besides massaging that will help gt the gas out of his tummy and make him poop more
Kira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help With Newborn bloating PLEASE

I'll start this by saying that I haven't had any personal experience with hand-raising babies (yet). What I know is from conversations with my mentor, who has done it at least twice with success.

KMR isn't the best choice, and it may contribute to bloating problems, but at this point it might do more harm than good if you were to switch to something else. A combination of puppy and goat's milk Esbilac is the preferred formula, but I know hedgehogs have been successfully raised on KMR also, so I wouldn't worry too much about that now that you've been using it for a while already. Just make sure you're only mixing a small amount just before each feeding, and don't let it sit to use for later feedings. Bacteria can accumulate very quickly - which contributes to bloating as well, and is also just downright bad for them because their immune systems are pretty much nonexistent. You want a fresh mix every time. Either use a new disposable syringe every time, or if you have to use the same one, give it a good soak in hot water after each feeding so it's completely clean and bacteria-free.

As for the bloating: let the formula sit for a few minutes after you mix it so the air bubbles can disperse. You don't want it frothy when you feed it. Be careful not to get air in the syringe as well. Bloating is from gas building up and also any air they might swallow while nursing. Start adding a few drops of (human) baby colic drops into the mixture. I think Mylicon is one brand name of it, or just generic simethicone drops. You can also start by giving one drop (just one) directly by syringe, rather than waiting for the next feeding. You pretty much want to get the drops and start using them immediately - bloating can easily be deadly to babies.

Good luck!

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you thank you thank you.I got some and it already works! It makes me feel so much better knowing his tummy won't be hurting.I cannot thank you enough.your information is very helpful
Kira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did. That and I add lactate crushed just a ill and a ill malax in it and had luck that's what vet had me do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in