Urgent Urgent! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Urgent Urgent!

Sooo..i was given Milo (my hedgehog) a bath today. And i need to trim his nails. This is the first time in a year or since i got him that i have done this cause whenever i checked it didnt look like he needed it ( i feel really bad and angry at my self). SO i started with the backfoot and it went fine. Then i got to the front foot and he kept squirmin and tryin to move. So he got nicked a little by the clippers. Just a little blood but ya. Is there somethin you suposed to do about accidently nicking one of your hedgehog's feet. I heard something about flour but idk. Please anyone?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Urgent Urgent!

Accidentally clipping the quick is just something that happens sometimes and probably upsets us more than the hedgie. They might be a bit huffy for a little while after, but most of them tend to forget about it pretty quickly, especially when helped along with mealies or other treats. You can help stop the bleeding by dipping the nail in flour or cornstarch to get it clotting. Then just relax for a couple of days, then start trying to clip again. If he starts struggling a lot and either of you are getting too stressed out, it's fine to stop a clipping session and start again later. Sometimes you can only get one foot done in a session, sometimes only a nail or two. Just be persistent and keep an eye on them, and you'll get used to what methods work best and how much you can get done at a time.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

The flour is to stop the bleeding, especially if you cut the quick (cut the nail too far down) and it's bleeding a lot. If it isn't bleeding anymore I would just make sure her little foot is clean and put some neosporin on it, but NOT the pain relief kind because I've read that kind has ingredients that aren't safe.
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

k thanks and ya i was kinda over reacting a little. But it is good to know in the future. Thanks for replyin so quickly.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

well it did stop bleedin so i dont think i need to put some neosproin (prob spelled that wrong ) but thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in