New male hedgie might be over weight? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New male hedgie might be over weight?

Hi, I just got my boy yesterday. He's had several owners before me that couldn't look after him. He hasn't ever used a wheel and his food dish was just a old sandwich box which was full to the top when i saw him, hes been living on cat food all his life according to the people I bought him off. He does seem over weight by me but I've never had a BOY before (all moody females here xD) so idk if it's normal for males to be x3 as wide as a female, holding him on his back you can feel his fat before his spine.I've never seen him fully ball as his head or paws keep popping out plus he's very sociable. Anyway I've put in a wheel for him and he hasn't used it yet. Should I slowly change his feed to help him lose weight? Or slowly reduce his current feed? Or do hedgehogs have a stomach that can handle a change of feed? ( Considering some animals don't take feed changes too well) He does eat a lot. Thanks. If anyone knows the ideal weight for a 5-6 month male hedgie please let me know.
Myhedgehogeatsmymoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

There is no idea weight for a hedgehog. Some are naturally small and other naturally big. It would be like asking what is the normal weight for a 20 year old man, it varies a lot. If you can feel fat on him and you feel he's overweight then you can slowly transition him to a lower fat food. You have to do it slowly. Here is a good way to switch foods:

Week one - 1/4 new food 3/4 old
Week two - 1/2 new food 1/2 old
week three - 3/4 new 1/4 old
week four - all new

What food are you feeding now?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in