Impaired Mobility (not WHS) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Impaired Mobility (not WHS)

I noticed last night that my hedgehog, Holly, is walking on not only her back feet but also the bottom half of her back legs (right before the joint). She is not wobbly and does not seem to have difficulty getting around in this manner (as such, I do not believe this to be WHS). In addition, she does not appear to be in any sort of pain (though I'm sure she is not comfortable walking around like this).She cannot, however, run on her wheel and I have since taken it out of her cage to prevent any injuries.

I am scheduling an appointment with her veterinarian ASAP but wanted to get advice and see if anyone else has had a hedgehog in a similiar situation (that being impaired mobility of this nature and of sudden onset) or know what might be the cause and if this will be temporary or permanent.

A little bit about Holly...
-She will be turning four in October
-She is currently on a diet of Wellness Indoor Health, Natural Planet Organics, Natural Balance (green pea formulas), and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul (Light).
-She currently has no problems eating or drinking (thus, no change in apetite), and her feces look completely normal
-Lastly, she is not under or overweight. (I measure her food and monitor her intake)
SamatranTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Impaired Mobility (not WHS)

It may be something age related like arthritis, but its hard to say. If it turns out to be age related and she isn't in pain then she will be able to live with it, unfortunately 4 is considered a senior hedgie.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boy Inky walked around funny on his back legs like you've mentioned for the last nearly year-ish of his life (we lost him unfortunately due to an unrelated issue, oral cancer at 5 years 2 months old). He had lost quite a lot of muscle mass due to cancer and would sort of hobble around on his back legs instead of lifting his little butt off the ground and standing on his feet. We had him on Metacam to help with pain and it did wonders to improve his mobility and overall happiness. I hope your vet can hook you up with something to help with arthritis/inflammation and keep her comfortable. If that's the only problem she has, it should be no trouble to treat and she should be just fine.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for your responses.
I just noticed that I posted the wrong age (my apologies)...Holly will be turning three in October...not four. (She was born October 24th, 2009)

Regardless, I took her to the vet on Tuesday and the X-rays revealed no obvious abnormalities (ie. no tumors, broken bones, spinal injuries etc.). As such, the vet narrowed it down to either WHS or lameness resulting from cariovascular problems (arthritis is also a possibility). She is currently on metacam and will continue to be if it helps her.

I'm hoping that it is not WHS and I'm reluctant to believe so as she is not even the slightest bit wobbly but this could sadly just be the beginning...
SamatranTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in