Hedgie not pooping as much - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie not pooping as much

My hegsgehog has recently stopped running on him wheel (in the last two nights) and isn't pooping as much. I have not noticed him peeing at all. He is eating fine, and drinking, and behaving normally. His cage is 76 degrees Fahrenheit, but can drop down to 73 on occasion.

When he does poo (a tiny amount a night) it is slimey, sometimes a bit green. I have noticed one drop of red (so tiny I hardly saw it) and am terrified. I will take him to the vet after school, but was wondering if any of you had any ideas. Could it be from stress? I just went from my mom's house to my dads house, but I have done this before.

He is just over 11 weeks old (2 1/2 months). Any ideas?

He is growing out of his wheel, and I am shipping a new Carolina Storm Hedgehog Wheel in, that should be here in he next few days as well.
Mr.Pricklesworth_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I gave him a bath a week ago, and he hasn't been the same since. I held him for an hour or more, in a warm room until he was dry, and then put him back in his 78 degree cage. It was warmer because I was at my moms house.
I gave him a bath recently, but should I give him a foot bath to help loosen things up, and hope he goes poddy?
Mr.Pricklesworth_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

The drop in temperature is worrisome. The temperature must stay consistent. Do you have a heat set-up for your baby? A thermometer to measure the exact temperature of the cage? If you're constantly traveling your hedgie between your mom and dad's house often it could be stressing out your baby. I would seek a vet to see what is going on exactly.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I only change houses every 2 weeks, and the temperature is different between the houses. I have a thermometer, and the heat is almost always on at my dads house. I will take him to the vet within the next day or two.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

He needs to have a stable temperature at both houses. Temperature changes can trigger a hibernation attempt and the moving between houses will just make that worse.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

We fixed the temperature thing this morning (reset the thermostat so the house will always be warmer) at my dads house. My hedgehog ran last night, and ate a ton. I also found a lot of spots with poop. He is his normal self now. (Even before the temperature changed). He was probably stressed out about something. Possibly because I had school, and didn't hold him around one. (Or routine, I would hold him around 1 in the afternoon and 11pm)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you everyone, all problems solved ???????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in