Losing Quills - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Losing Quills

Hubert is 9 months old and he has been losing some quills lately.

Last week I took him to the vet due to his rear feet bleeding (which ended up being Pododermatitis from running on his wheel too much) and mentioned his loss of quills. He only lost a couple quills a day at that time but still wanted her to check him out and she said he is healthy and his skin looks fantastic, no sign of mites.

Dr. Ritzman told me to take his wheel out of his cage for 2 weeks so the inflammation in his rear feet would go away. I'm not sure if he is just losing more quills now because he is stressed from not having his wheel or what.

Should I get him back into the vet to see if anything else is wrong or wait until I put his wheel back in? He has 5 more days of no wheel. I appreciate any help/input I can get
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hubert.jpg (100.4 KB, 38 views)
karissa_jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Losing Quills

Before you go through all the hassle of going to the vet again, I would call them and ask your veterenarian if it is serious. If he is only losing a couple of quills, I dont think it very serious, but you should still call the vet because it's better to be safe then sorry.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Before I took the wheel out it was usually 1-3 a day. Now after taking the wheel out Hubert has been losing at least 8 or so. This morning there wasn't that many. He has woke me up in the night rumbling around in his cage. I know he really misses his wheel...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post Re: Losing Quills

So I checked on Hubert once I got home from work and he had some more quills in his sac. I don't see any mites so I tried the black shirt to see if I could see anything but nothing. He is starting to lose his belly fur now too. I called his vet and she is supposed to call me back. I'm worried about my baby

I've been keeping a his quills in a ziploc bag since Saturday and from that period he has lost 57 quills 17 of those from today. I hope to hear back from the vet. I'm worried at what it could be if it's not mites or the stress...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hubert is so gorgeous! I hope it is a simple problem that is easily cleared up. Please let us know.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Poor Hubert! I hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know what the vet says.

Tym4myself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am taking him to the vet in the morning. The number of quills he has lost isn't good so she is going to recheck for mites and figure out what is going on. She said she thinks she might treat him even if there are no signs of mites just to rule that out for sure. She said I've been doing well keeping track of everything though. Makes me feel like I'm being a good momma
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I took Hubert to the vet and still no sign of mites but she said that she advises revolution to be safe so he had a dose of that today and in 2 weeks I'll give him another dose. Hope it works! I don't want my baby going bald
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hope it helps!
Poor Hubert...hopefully the vet visit didn't stress him out too much.

Tym4myself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a a similar situation, not as sever but I have a hedgehog named Tater and I been told from the vet that he is 9 months old. I have had him sense Nov of 2013 and he is my world! Earlier today I was cleaning his cage and discovered a quill from him, now I don't know if he has went through quilling before where i bought him from the pets store, but doing research online I found that it was withing 6-12 weeks of age.. So why will he be quilling now? I don't see any white specks either so I don't think its mights. I have had him checked by a vet back in January and she said he's very healthy and mite free. I haven't changed his food nor his bedding brands so I don't know what would cause him to loose a quill.. It was only one as far as I know but should I be conserened?
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in