Litter training? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Litter training?

Hello to all! As a new hedgie owner I have questions about litter training them. Can they be trained to do this?
With him running on his wheel, he's obviously doing his business on the wheel while running. I have a litter box separate with the yesterday's news litter, because everything I have read suggested some form of paper litter. I have "planted" poops in the litter pan in hopes he recognizes hey I should poop here....not so lucky yet
I'm starting to wonder if they can at all. I saw a post that had a wheel inside a litter pan, I guess to try to catch some? And the CSW wheel has a litter pan with it...I'm sorry I don't see what's so special about that wheel
Is it better to have it housed in a separate bin? Anyone had any luck training them? I'd love some suggestions!
puppetgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Litter training?

No matter what, you're almost definitely not going to get him to stop pooping on his wheel. It's just what hedgehogs do. In the wild, they potty on the run, and in cages, they don't realize that it comes back around on a wheel. There's a couple very rare hedgehogs that will get off the wheel to do their business, but they are few and far between. Most people figure to just go along with it and that's why they place litter pans underneath the wheel. It usually keeps the mess limited to that area, it'll catch the run off, and if they associate the wheel area with potty time, they may catch on to potty in the litter box as well. Some people have had luck with potty training that way, and some people still have hogs that don't care.

As far as the CSW, there's lots and lots of reviews on the threads for it that explain why it's special. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4844 and viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4844 You could make your own as well, for the cost of the materials, but it does require having the right tools and knowing how to use them. There's videos on youtube that you can look up that show how to make a bucket or cake cover wheel.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ela

Default Litter training?

I have also tried to get my Tank to stop pooping on the wheel, but no luck. I was concerned that he'd never be litter trained, but then I noticed that when he's not in a running mood, he'll just go right in the pan under the CSBW.

I think they understand that the litter pan is meant for waste, but that magical special rules apply while running on the wheel. lol
Ela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya I think I'm going to give up on the litter training and just stick the wheel in the litter pan to hopefully catch some. I've called him lately poop flinger extraordinaire! Cause well that's what hes doing while running. Do they realize they are doing it? He loves his wheel so I guess I will just clean it every day...yucky! LOL....but I do love my hedgie...hes awesome
puppetgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I dunno if they realize it or not. I would think that most of them, if they did, would start pooping off the wheel just to avoid the foot baths! Unfortunately the daily wheel-cleaning is a yucky reality for hedgehog owners, but luckily they're cute enough to make up for it!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

My girls are 100% potty trained. Except for the occasional accident they pretty much do their business in their potty trays. They however will still poop on the run on their wheel. I have witnessed JuJu Bee get off the wheel, go to the bathroom, and then get back on the wheel and start running. To me potty training means that they learn to go in a litter tray when they are running around in my room or cuddling with me. The only accidents they have are usually when I don't recognize the signs that they have to go poop. In which case they always look at me with a "thanks mom, now look what you made me do" Anyhow, don't give up, just keep trying they will eventually catch on...usually.

Visit my etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TiggyWinklesCloset
Isismommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Gizmo poops on his wheel too (making for daily foot baths -_-), but he also poops everywhere else. Near his water and food, where he sleeps, literally everywhere :/ Is this ok?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in