Stuffed nose? Whiny wimpering noise? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stuffed nose? Whiny wimpering noise?

Ok,

So Chloe gave me heart palpitations today.

I was doing my morning check, disrupting the girls to see how they are feeling for the day and assessing their little pig stye rooms... and Chloe instead of her usual huff huff huff from under a pile of snuggle sacks... comes this AWFUL noise that sounds like almost a whimper/cry combined with a completely stuffed nose huff....

I dig through her pile of blankets to find her in her usual defensive ball position, I sit on the floor with her to figure out what is going on... is it a respiratory infection, has she hurt herself... after about a minute of huffing while making this awful noise, she peeks out at me with a shocked face, and the noises all stop. She does a quick normal huff huff... so I put her back in her pile of sacks... she just sits there and stares at me for the next 10 minutes like I'm a nutter and what is all the fuss about. No funny noises, no nothing out of the ordinary... then she climbs back in her pile and goes to sleep..

Could she have had something in her nose? Kibble in her mouth? Any others with experience of such a stuffy whiny noise??

(Of course all this happened a half hour before I had to take Ziggy are baby cat to the vet for his last round of shots. Which went well. And the vet says he's going to be a big muscular kitty! EEEP! )
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Stuffed nose? Whiny wimpering noise?

I've never heard of any sound like this, even when Kashi and Po' Boy had URIs. They just sneezed a lot and had snot bubbles.

I'd take her to the vet just in case though (maybe wait it out a couple of days before though).
Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was totally expecting to see a big snotty bubbly nose on Chloe when she unballed, but she was normal!

Maybe I just disrupted her sleep and she was having some sort of nightmare? I don't know what on earth the sound was, but it made me want to cry, not anything like the hedgie scream of death I've heard on youtube videos....

I will totally be watching her even more over the next few days, and of course will spaz and take her to the vet if there is something else.... she is such a grump though.. I don't look forward to a vet visit... I wonder how they'll get a look at her at all?!?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRGMdckLw8U

55seconds into the video, this hedgehog makes what I can recall as being almost the same squeeky noise, however Chloe kept it up for at least 30 seconds... so maybe she was just spooked?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in