Behavior changes - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Behavior changes

It has been awhile since my last post but my hedgehog (Daisy, 3 years old) has been acting weird lately. I noticed she wasn't eating and I was replacing her bowl of full food almost every day. She doesn't run on her wheel too often anymore but I figure because she was just fat.

Anyways, she has a little sister (Matilda) and they usually sleep together. So monitoring food on the night cam gets hard because I can't tell whose eating after falling asleep. I make the assumption Daisy is not eating because she is usually the one who clears out the bowl...

Recently I noticed Daisy had this heavy breathing problem although I see no signs of her struggling because she is acting very lethargic/lazy and usually just sits there. But I watched the back of her quills and you can see it pulsing consistently. Her snout had also shown signs of heavy breathing as if she was gasping for air (nostrils opening bigger then smaller consistently) but still no signs of a struggle. This was the first sign to me that it was something more than just behavior changes.

Living situation:

1. Fleece lining
2. Baby blankets for warmth/darkness(Temp gauge inside home always around 72-78)
3. Ceramic heating
4. Purina Beyond Grain free - Chicken (Only)

New Variables:

1. New AC unit installed (ran it around 72-74) at night for 2-3 days. This was something different, since then I have stopped running it to see if it was causing her problems. No changes and don't think she is hibernating.

2. I always thought she was snoring but she often made wheezing or squeaking noises while sleeping. To me, it was normal but worth mentioning.

Symptoms: 3-year-old, female hedgehog

1. Barely eating
2. Breathing heavily
3. Lethargic

Update for today + new changes/concerns:

1. Made a vet appointment for 3 PM
2. Fed her mealworms over the weekend but this morning she just chewed them and just left it there. (was weird because she usually loves these)
3. Moves around slowly as if crippled/weak.
4. Modified her huge cage from stair levels to ground levels because she seemed like she couldn't walk up or down her ramps + was weak.

Anyways, any advice or previous experiences or insights would be greatful.

Last edited by Jaite; 07-10-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Jaite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Vet is the right decision. You'll also need to start syringe-feeding her ASAP if she's not eating on her own. They shouldn't go more than a day or two without eating, they go downhill even faster without food. If you see this before your appointment or if you can catch the vet before they close, ask about Carnivore Care or Hills A/D. Both are foods meant for syringing to sick animals. They should also be able to give you some syringes if you need them.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also hedgehogs should have separate cages
Lilysmommy likes this.
Pixel101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update for others in the future:

Took her to the vet, the vet found nothing wrong. In fact he said she was very healthy (pulp).....he also said she showed no signs of WHS or pain but maybe she has a tumor in her snoutway but we can't see that(around 3 year mark is when it often happens he said). Besides that, he just said she might have a sinus infection for the laborious breathing. I was not convinced but we took the antibiotics route for now. I guess up next is the Xrays but he said that was difficult too because of the quills.

Who knows, for now, I will just make her life as easy as possible. Seems that the Vet was trying to say that it is hard to determine what is wrong even if we did all the latter.2
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel101 View Post
Also hedgehogs should have separate cages
I do have 2 cages (always did for them both), but honestly, they have been together for 2.5 years now and I don't see a good enough reason to separate them (unless I can be convinced otherwise). They are both from the same breeder and in my opinion like the company of each other. They sleep right next to each other every night, there is no competition between food, wheels, etc.

But even if I did separate them, I think they would become more stress as they have been together for a long time. They literally snuggle next to each other everytime I check in on them. I really do think that taking one away from the other would only create stress.

Besides that, I started monitoring them on my night cam now with a recording device. Seems both hedgehogs are barely eating, these problems are never ending it seems.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaite View Post
They sleep right next to each other every night, there is no competition between food, wheels, etc.
Just a note, (and maybe you already have it set up like this) if you have two hedgehogs housed together, you need two of everything. Two wheels, two food/water dishes, two hides, etc. There should never be a need for "competition" for food or wheels (even if they get along), because everything is doubled in the cage.

Also, the minimum square foot for one hedgehog is 4 square feet...so two housed together is a minimum of 8 square feet total.

Cheers!
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaHazelnut View Post
Just a note, (and maybe you already have it set up like this) if you have two hedgehogs housed together, you need two of everything. Two wheels, two food/water dishes, two hides, etc. There should never be a need for "competition" for food or wheels (even if they get along), because everything is doubled in the cage.

Also, the minimum square foot for one hedgehog is 4 square feet...so two housed together is a minimum of 8 square feet total.

Cheers!
Yes, they have 2 of everything: wheels, litter, food/water bowls, even places to sleep if they didn't want to sleep in their usual spot (they never do, always together). The home they live in is 24-26 square feet. I like to think that I have given my hedgehogs a pretty good life.

Anyways, I feel like my hedgehog is going to die so I am just going to give her the best life I can till that comes. I didn't really expect people to just criticize their living conditions, I was looking for advice on the health of my hedgehog. I have had these hedgehogs for a while and I think I know what is best for them (yours might be different). If I thought this set up was the/a problem, it would have never happened or remained.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, I saw a snot bubble this morning and started reading the URI section. It seems like the symptoms other posters talk about matches my hedgehogs.

Hopefully, the antibiotics help and sorry if I wrote these replies like an *******, I am just frustrated.

Last edited by Jaite; 07-13-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello! I wasn't trying to criticize you at all, (if you notice I said "and maybe you already have it set up like this"). We just see a lot of people on here who don't know the proper requirements for hedgehogs. Your set-up sounds wonderful for hedgehogs! Fantastic!

I'm very sorry your hedgehog isn't doing well. Have you considered trying to see if there is another vet in the area who might be able to give you a second opinion?
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaHazelnut View Post
Hello! I wasn't trying to criticize you at all, (if you notice I said "and maybe you already have it set up like this"). We just see a lot of people on here who don't know the proper requirements for hedgehogs. Your set-up sounds wonderful for hedgehogs! Fantastic!

I'm very sorry your hedgehog isn't doing well. Have you considered trying to see if there is another vet in the area who might be able to give you a second opinion?
Yeah, my fault really and by the time I was editing my post the forums didn't allow it. Was meant to be nicer but nonetheless, yes I think we will visit another vet but my breeder contacted me today. Hopefully, he has better information..I feel like paying the vet $100 for him to tell us Daisy is sick becomes a little expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in