Our Lizzie got a hair stuck! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our Lizzie got a hair stuck!

So our little Lizzie learned to escape and spent quite some time roaming our home. When we found her we inspected her, but didn't notice anything wrong.

A stressful few days later her left rear foot was swollen to about 5x its normal size ( of course this shows up at midnight). We immediately rushed her into an emergency vet. They were able to remove the hair that was stuck around her little leg (we assume it got there from her time spent outside of her cage).

She was prescribed an antibiotic, a pain killer, a solution for cleaning, and an ointment for the wound. She's really incredible about taking the medication, and she looks to be healing very quickly.

She has been back to the regular vet twice in the last week. Her wound is all scabbed up and looking great. The vet said she is doing much better than anything we could expect at this point. Thank goodness.

However, we were noticing a few little linty pieces were stuck in the scab (the vet said it posed no threat and it would be worse to try to remove it). The fuzz is presumably coming from the fleece liners we use in her cage. The vet suggested we use paper. We tried this and it is a terrible mess, and it seems pretty uncomfortable for Lizzie. Do you all have any suggestions for a safe and comfortable lining we could use for her?

Additionally, the vet suggested we remove her wheel until her next appointment (in 2 weeks). She loves her wheel, and spends a considerable amount of time on it. Do you all have any suggestions for safe alternatives for play? We want to make sure she isn't bored, and beyond handling her and providing balls we are a little stumped.

She has been very active and is healing up well. We just want to make sure we are taking the best care of her possible. Do you all have any other advice for this situation that we might not think to ask for?
GlitterandYex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Our Lizzie got a hair stuck!

Do you guys have a sewing machine, or know anyone who does? Instead of fleece, another fabric might work, such as flannel or regular cotton, but they would need to be sewn to keep from unraveling. They would be easy to lint-roll quickly before putting in her cage to get hairs and lint off, and they wouldn't cause more lint if she dug at them or anything, like fleece.

I'm not sure on toys....perhaps hidden treats could keep her occupied for a little while, as well as some PVC pipes to run through? Some hedgies won't pay any attention to toys, so it's hard to know what might work. A dig box (with medium aquarium stones or marbles) might be something she could take her frustrations out on as well, since they typically dig with their front legs (or at least, Lily did), and it wouldn't stress her back one? I'm not positive on that though.

It sounds like you guys are taking great care of her, so don't worry! I hope she finishes healing up soon!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Our Lizzie got a hair stuck!

Aww, poor baby! I'm still a new hedgie owner, and this learning what toys work and don't work for hedgehogs. And my hedgehog Milo doesn't like any toys that are meant to be toys. That being said, his new favorite is the drink carriers you get from fast food places. I still watch Milo very closely with it to ensure there are no spots where he can get stuck in it though, so if you do use this option, I wouldn't leave her unattended unless you're sure it's safe. (Different places do offer different drink carriers.)
That being said, just try different things you have lying around. Trying different things can be just as fun for you and your little one as giving her a store-bought toy that you know she'll like.
Hope she gets better soon! It sounds like she's got a terrific family taking excellent care of her.
MissCarlyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in