A change in litterpan liner has led to a change in food! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A change in litterpan liner has led to a change in food!

For the past couple of years, I have used Yesterday's News as litterpan liner and it's always worked nicely... however, recently I acquired a rescue hedgie and obtained a baby that are MESSY MESSY MESSY with it. I remembered seeing/hearing that a lot of you use paper towels, so I switched over to those last night. And I have to say-- THANK YOU FOR INFLUENCING ME TO DO THAT.

This morning, I came downstairs to check on everyone. In the past, I've glanced at the litter pans and not really been able to tell much, because the litter is dark. I knew that J had had some runny poops recently, but I just figured it was from the soft catfood I treated the herd with about a week and a half ago. I had not seen any real concern until this morning. This morning, on the white paper towel, I was able to see some green mucus in the stools as well as a little bit of bloody mucus. I immediately was frightened that J had picked up the intestinal infection that Etnie just kicked (he's been in quarantine, but I was afraid somehow I'd transferred it to her), so I took a fecal into the vet and we ran it through the lab. Thank God, it was not an intestinal infection... it was her poor little body trying to deal with too rich of a food! I refigured what was in my blend for her. She is only 4 months old, so I had been feeding her my "baby" mix, which does have higher protein levels in it. One of those foods is Wellness (I threw away my entire "baby mix" bucket because the Wellness was mixed throughout-- no more Wellness for us!!), which I remembered hearing a few people having problems with. I've never had problems with my baby mix, but we will be doing a mix renovation now-- not worth it to risk another hedgie getting sick! Needless to say, J will now be getting my "diet hog" mix, as per the vet's recommendation.

Anyway, I know this isn't an "asking for help" post, but I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me notice positive changes that I can make for my hogs that I wouldn't have known of otherwise. I am the only breeder in my area that isn't a back-yard breeder, so having so many with so much experience available at my fingertips is invaluable. I have learned a lot through my own experience and separate research, but the most priceless information and opinions have been found here. Thanks to you guys, my cage setup has changed 3 times (although my husband may not thank you for that hahaha), my food choices for the hogs have evolved, I have cut many risks I wouldn't have known of otherwise (freeze-dried mealworms, Silent Spinners, shavings, etc.) until a hoggie suffered from those things. I am so glad that I have been able to avoid so many pitfalls with my herd due to the help of my HHC friends. My hoggies and I all thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A change in litterpan liner has led to a change in food!

glad it all worked out! and i agree that the white paper towels is a much better idea
i hope J is feeling better after the food switch
Kelsey the hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm glad things you have learned on here are working out well for you. It's so nice to hear positive comments. It seems most of what we've been hearing lately is whining and complaining.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a wonderful post. I second what Nancy said. Positive posts go a long way in moving forward after a bout of negativity.

I, too, fed Wellness and watched my hedgie deal with an upset tummy until I found out here that it can be a bit too rich for some hogs. Without HHC, I would not be able to be the best hedgie owner I can be!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I figured HHC could use some good vibes about now, and all the good that has come to my life and lives of hedgehogs that I come into contact with deserves a LOT of good vibes from us! With the help of HHC members, I've been able to help 3 new rescues visit the vet in the past few months. One of them, Etnie, has made such a huge amount of progress (physically at least lol) that he is hardly even the same hog. The other 2 rescues have been able to be placed in permanent homes, and I am waiting for word to go pick up a litter of 6 "surprise" babies from a gentleman about 80 miles away. Through the combination of my own personal experiences and the experience and love of all the people here on HHC, I feel that I have been able to make a much bigger difference for good than I would ever have been able to do before I came across HHC. I love you all. <3

And an update on our little J-- still has some pretty yucky poops, but I didn't see any blood in them today so far. It's very hard seeing how terrible her poor tummy must feel and not be able to just fix it immediately... Poor baby girl. But she's staying hydrated and eating the new foods very well (I cut the Wellness out cold turkey, which is probably not helpful for her diarrhea, but her kidneys and liver are just too tired to deal with even one more day of it), so we've got our fingers crossed that she'll recover quickly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in