Please help! Video included - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help! Video included

My hedgehog has the most horrible attitude. It started when she started to feel better after her URI. Now she is very mean. I can't touch her and she tries to run away and seems bothered by something. I think she may have mites, as the way she is acting. She jumps up and down and is out of this world. I am so overwhelmed with all this. All I want to do is enjoy her and I have yet been able to do that. I have ordered some revolution and will see if that may be what it is. I have provided a video of her behavior. Please let me know your thoughts. Please excuse her mess. Thats another thing. She destroys everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j-SyLW ... e=youtu.be
horsewildfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Please help! Video included

It honestly looks like normal hedgehog behaviour to me. Is she losing quills? How old is she? Do you try holding her in the dark? I personally don't know why people stick their hand in the cage and sort of wave it around the hedgehogs face and on top of them... Imagine something the size of you coming at you, it'd be pretty scary. Not trying to be rude, just saying... What does she do if you lay your hand palm up, flat beside her and are completely silent and still? Have you tried putting a treat on your hand and just resting your hand palm up, beside her, being completely still and silent? By chance, have you used a new hand soap, perfume, body wash, body lotion, laundry detergent, anything since ending her antibiotics?
Desperodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Looks pretty normal to me as well, just defensive. I'm thinking that maybe your hand looks like a predator, coming from above. She's not sure what you mean to do, and she doesn't want it near her, so she's trying to bluff you and threaten you. I would try either what Desperodo said, or just scoop her straight up instead of trying to pet her and touch her quills while she's in the cage, below you, and feeling vulnerable. Once you have her up and in your hands, then you can work on calming her and bonding with her. If she's still quite defensive out with you, try holding her in a blanket so she can be covered and feel safer. You can work on getting her used to your hands then, by laying a hand on her under the blanket until she gets used to it and realizes that it's not hurting her. Treats work well too, just be careful that you don't introduce biting by handfeeding her. A lot of people use plastic tweezers, spoons, etc. to feed mealworms. Good luck and have some patience with her. Remember she's a small prey animal and most of the time, they're just afraid rather than mean.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nothing about the way I am coming at her. I did that to show how she seems irritated about her skin. I will normaly pet her on the sides. I use to be able to swoop her right up and spend time with her. If I lay my hand down in front of her flat, she will bite it. I get her out of the cage and place her in her little pouch and she does nothing but try and run. We do spoon her mealies when she is out as a treat. I appreciate the advice. She just did get over quilling and is no longer losing any. Not sure if this has anything to do with.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewildfire
Nothing about the way I am coming at her. I did that to show how she seems irritated about her skin. I will normaly pet her on the sides. I use to be able to swoop her right up and spend time with her. If I lay my hand down in front of her flat, she will bite it. I get her out of the cage and place her in her little pouch and she does nothing but try and run. We do spoon her mealies when she is out as a treat. I appreciate the advice. She just did get over quilling and is no longer losing any. Not sure if this has anything to do with.
Some hedgehogs... actually a lot of them, do not like getting the skirts of the quills petted (the sides).

You could try putting her in a playpen and sitting in the playpen with her. If she doesn't want to stay still, she has the option of coming to check you out on her own terms then.

She seems shy, but really not that bad. At least she has unballed

Also some hogs just don't like to be touched. There are ways to bond with them without touching them. But I'd really try the playpen trick
Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

To me it just looks like she is annoyed/scared, which might be a little expected since you are kind of picking on her. I think it also looks like you are shining a light in her face(?), which might be very intimidating for her. I think it could be less about her skin and more about the way you are going about handling her - in the video I didn't really see any "petting" going on, but rather poking and picking, which might be scaring her. Your movements were pretty quick and sudden, and sometimes you have to keep in mind that hedgehogs have less-than-adequate vision so she might be startled.
I think sitting in a playpen with her in the dark might help a lot, so that she can get used to you on her own terms (:

However, that's not to say that she doesn't have mites or something wrong with her skin that is agitating her. If I scooped my hand into Kazooie's cage and she started acting like this, while I might think it funny at first, I would be bothered and worried about it too. I think that trying the Revolution certainly won't hurt anything. I have read that a bad case of mites can cause jitters like this, but I've also seen videos of hedgies that were just crazy, so I think it could work either way. I would be on the lookout for quill-loss and that yellow gunk build-up on the base of the quills. If this extreme behavior continues, then maybe something is wrong and she is in pain and this is the only way she can show that to you? I haven't experienced anything like this before so I can't really say, but hedgehogs have a way of hiding illnesses and maybe this is just how she is expressing that something is hurting her?

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

When you are not doing anything to her, does she behave the same way? Meaning will she sit still then suddenly jump side ways or scratch at the side of her head? If so, is it often one side over the other?

I ask because the behavior I see reminds me a lot of one of mine. She had ear mites. She had always lived on liners, was never anywhere to get mites, but she had them in her ears only. She went from being just fine, to sitting, stomping a foot, and then jumping side ways.

I'd suggest a veterinary visit to have her skin looked at, but I would also have your vet get a good look down her ears.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra
When you are not doing anything to her, does she behave the same way? Meaning will she sit still then suddenly jump side ways or scratch at the side of her head? If so, is it often one side over the other?

I ask because the behavior I see reminds me a lot of one of mine. She had ear mites. She had always lived on liners, was never anywhere to get mites, but she had them in her ears only. She went from being just fine, to sitting, stomping a foot, and then jumping side ways.

I'd suggest a veterinary visit to have her skin looked at, but I would also have your vet get a good look down her ears.
This is exactly what I was trying to get advice for. Its not like I want to pick on my little girl, but I had to show her weird behavior. She does act like something is bothering her in her ears or up by her ears. Its almost like she cant get the itch and then she does this weird behavior. She is really agitated despite my hand not being in the cage. To the above posters, she does not normally get a light this bright. I put the light on to snap the video. You guys make it sound like I am manipulating her. However, it was not the case. She actually prefers me petting her side. She just has something bothering her bad and Im just trying to get advice.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coribelle
To me it just looks like she is annoyed/scared, which might be a little expected since you are kind of picking on her. I think it also looks like you are shining a light in her face(?), which might be very intimidating for her. I think it could be less about her skin and more about the way you are going about handling her - in the video I didn't really see any "petting" going on, but rather poking and picking, which might be scaring her. Your movements were pretty quick and sudden, and sometimes you have to keep in mind that hedgehogs have less-than-adequate vision so she might be startled.
I think sitting in a playpen with her in the dark might help a lot, so that she can get used to you on her own terms (:

However, that's not to say that she doesn't have mites or something wrong with her skin that is agitating her. If I scooped my hand into Kazooie's cage and she started acting like this, while I might think it funny at first, I would be bothered and worried about it too. I think that trying the Revolution certainly won't hurt anything. I have read that a bad case of mites can cause jitters like this, but I've also seen videos of hedgies that were just crazy, so I think it could work either way. I would be on the lookout for quill-loss and that yellow gunk build-up on the base of the quills. If this extreme behavior continues, then maybe something is wrong and she is in pain and this is the only way she can show that to you? I haven't experienced anything like this before so I can't really say, but hedgehogs have a way of hiding illnesses and maybe this is just how she is expressing that something is hurting her?
Please see my last quote. I don't pick on her. I use to do this all the time and she normally loves it. Something is bothering her and Im just trying to get advice from others about her behavior. The light was only used for the video. You can see that the beginning of the video, it was dark.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I'd suggest a veterinary visit then and as I mentioned above, have the vet get a good look in her ears. Hopefully she will cooperate.

Her video really reminds me a lot of NeMali. NeMali was very friendly, very sassy and would tell you off if you did something she didn't like. She was acting a bit off, then started a similar behavior as yours in that video. We took her to the vet, and did a skin scraping, she came back negative. Doc looked down her ears and said they were a mess. I cannot remember what meds he gave us. I think he gave us a miticide & an ear drop antibiotic. The ear drops doc felt would help with any infection the mites may cause and they gave my girl a lot of relief as they suffocated the mites in her ears.

Good luck, and let me know what your vet says. I'm really curious to see if she has an ear infection or mites, or what else may be going on. But I'm betting there is something going on in her ears.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in