Lump on hedgehog's back, possible tumor? - Page 4 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

hello,

if anybody is still reading this thread, i thought i should log back in one last time.
it is with a heavy heart that i have to say our little girl passed on 4 weeks ago today.

she seemed to be doing fine, except what looked like a some pimples on her skin, we got antibiotics for them, and on the checkup after the antibiotics, i asked, as i usually did, for an ultrasound, just to be safe.
it was then the vet saw black spots on her liver.
she said a definitive diagnosis can not be made withot a biopsy, but that the procedure is a bit risky, and if it turns out to be cancer, there is nothing we can do.

so we went home with milk thistle extract and lactulose to help the liver, and pain meds, if needed hoping it is not cancer and can be helped.
the worst part is we were not with her when she passed, this all hapened before a prebooked vacation. we payed quite a lot for it, but were thinking to cancel it and stay home, but our family and friends insisted that we don't.. the vet said that she still has at least a month if it was cancer.. so we folded and left.
2 good friends did our part dayly twice a day, but in the second half of our trip, the worst hapened. we wanted to catch a plane back home, but we were far away and the prices were litterly 3x what we payed for the return flight.
it started out with her not sleeping, and coming out even during the day. we figured there was pain and started the pain medication. we were looking at her IR camera every 5 minutes to see what was going on.
she would not move much, would tire easily, just walk a bit then stop, and walk some more. but she kept trying right up until the end. the poop was small, green and slimy.
this went on for 3 days, and just kept getting worse, it was clear she was in pain, and the pain meds were not doing a great job. our friends told us that she seemed weak and did not eat much, or wanted to do much. the news was always bad. they ended up visiting 3-4 times each day.
then came the first night she refused ANYTHING, even chiken and water.
we kept watching her, and she seemed so very very tired. the pain was obvios even on camera
that night she would walk 5cm, then sit for 5-10 minutes, then walk another 5cm... she did not sleep all night and was out of her little bed the entire night. we did not sleep eather, just sat there watching her all night. we were devasted for not being with her
the next morning she refused food and water again, at that point the decision was clear. i asked our friend to take her to the vet to be put down.
the vet said she was weak and that it was a good decision. the pain was only going to get worse. a quick ultrasound also revealed that the liver looked much worse than before. so we waited for the sad news that it was over. we were just zombies walking arround waiting for the day of the flight to get back home.

the vet asked if she can do a biopsy after she was put down to send to the lab. i gave my consent. i guess i felt so crappy for not being with her that i was just trying to find out if it was our fault, or there was nothing that could be done. although looking back on it now, it does not really matter... all that matters is that we were not there

the result came back 2 weeks ago, and it was the same sarcoma that we had removed when i started this thread. so metastasis to the liver was the cause of death.
i am writing here to ease my pain ofc, but also as a record if anybody goes through the same thing. took roughly 2 years for the metastasis to show up, but it did at the worst time ever

thank you all for reading, and answering, and i realy hope this will help readers in the future.
RIP our sweet little Itchu ;((
misha0209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

I’m so sorry for your loss and it was so unfortunate she went down hill whilst you were away. It can’t be helped though so try not to blame yourself. Remember the good times you shared together. It’s amazing she had another two years from the first diagnosis too, there’s just no way of knowing if and when it will come back unfortunately 😞

Thank you for sharing her story, hopefully it can help others in a similar situation one day ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bump, cancer, lump, tumor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in