Lump on hedgehog's back, possible tumor? - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha0209 View Post
thanks for the information.
we've tried 3 types of probiotics with her meals, but she just goes around the food that has probiotic on it or spits it out
but, yesterday was the last day of antibiotic, so i'm hoping to see less sniffing and more munching tonight

will try to get my hands on the canned hill's ad, hope that's what it says on the label.
we feed her some hedgehog canned food, but she has been reluctant to eat it lately.
we did make her her favorite, chicken breast we just make a soup out of carrots, chicken breast and an onion. she absolutely loves it.

PS: if my japanese is worth a **** that's a cute name for you little one (snowball?)
Ah really that's a shame she doesn't like the taste of any of the probiotics (I must have a strange hog who oddly likes it lol but doesn't like normal cat food or any fruits or veg! ><) but at least she's finished the antibiotics now anyways

How is she doing now, is her appetite back up? There's also another canned food called carnivore care if you can't find the hills a/d. I think most vets will stock one or the other or even petsmart I think I've read before... Hopefully her appetite is back up from eating the soup then and she's maintaining weight! ♡

Aw thanks! Yep Yukidama means snowball in Japanese, we usually call him Yuki (snow) for short ^.^ ~ he was a spiked ball of huff when we first saw him and he was the only whitish one amongst the other hedgies he was housed with so sounded fitting at the time!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

interesting thread, I also experienced the same problem

Last edited by alisa; 03-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.
alisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Hi,

thanks for the interest.
just a little update. went to the vet that did the OP and she said it looks good.
we got the all clear to go back to normal. this has all been 2 weeks now.

appetite is good, she is eating the canned food that she liked before the OP now.
also loved eating the soup, but we took it out of the diet now that she can eat her kibble, only giving it as a treat.

she seems more curious when we let her explore the room. looking back now, before the op, she was just looking for a place to hide, or would stop and just stare for a few minutes. none of that now.
active for about 2~3 hours per night, which is like before really.
weight is 420 grams. this also is her old weight, i think the fluid retention accounted for some of the extra weight we noticed in the weeks before the spay.

wound is closed, and looking good, although there is a nasty scar... quite big.. but we love her more than ever

we're checking in with a local vet this friday, we said we'd do it just to be sure there is no infection.

so, once again, we're hoping the worst is behind us! just enjoying the time we have together. spring soon over here, if it get's warm outside she gets to explore the back yard. first time she'll see grass looking forward to that.
misha0209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

So back here again.
just did not have the time to report in a few weeks back.
another visit to the oncologist (we're doing this each 6 months) that resulted in good news!! the doc did not see any evidence of her old problem.

we got scared because of a small iritation on her back, that seemed to swell (just a bit) but a small aspirate sample revealed it was an infection, so we received some betadine soap, and the thing cleared out by the 3rd bath.

her activity levels are lower than before, but she is eating and drinking well (a bit too well). she has gained some weight, the doc says it is inevitable after a spay, but we're trying to get her to run about the house she was at 440g before the spay, and is now at 460g.

if anybody has some advice for our little lack of activity or weight problem, we're all ears.
thanks for tuning in, will write next check-up

PS: she has fully recovered from the spay without any complications if anybody is wondering

Last edited by misha0209; 07-08-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Great news, glad to hear she is doing well! ^^

I am struggling with a similar weight issue with Yuki. He is now weighing around 480gs! I'm adding a lower fat % to his kibble and reducing the higher fat % kibbles in the mix. He was doing pretty well not gaining any more weight for about a month but now he's gained again and weighed 489g last night, the most he's ever weighed ><. I'm also looking into a commercial raw food diet like barf etc. but have lots more research to do though.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

i've not been posting much here, since nothing worth mentioning has happened since i last posted ( thankfullly !!! )

we had a checkup done last week, and other than her drop in activity, and the fact the she is pleasantly plump there is nothing bad to say. again, thankfully, and hoping it stays this way.

her weight oscillates between 470~480 grams now, and has been this way for months.

still trying to get her to loose weight, but she does not eat that much... she use to eat WAY more than she does now.
the problem is the drop in activity, we try to take her out each night, and let her run around the house, but that's an hour a day... tops.. still do not know what to do to get her to be more active...
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Hi! I just wanted to say thank you so much for this thread, it has been so helpful! My hedgehog recently developed a similar-looking lump that the vet has said doesn't look like a tumor, but it's been so great to read through this just in case; I plan to get the lump removed to be safe anyway and this has been super helpful. Thank you again, and I hope your little girl is doing well now!
Hedgemom7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemom7 View Post
Hi! I just wanted to say thank you so much for this thread, it has been so helpful! My hedgehog recently developed a similar-looking lump that the vet has said doesn't look like a tumor, but it's been so great to read through this just in case; I plan to get the lump removed to be safe anyway and this has been super helpful. Thank you again, and I hope your little girl is doing well now!
Great to hear the information helped someone, the main purpose was for me to gather experience with the problem, but also leave a log for other to read

Our girl is still good, thanks for asking, same weight, same lack of activity , good appetite, and came out healthy in her last checkup in February.
we even managed to stop the hibernation attempts altogether this winter using a timer and a desk lamp. had read that lighting is important, but i figured heat was the decisive factor. now i learned she is a lot more tolerant to low temperature than i thought, but lack of lighting will cause more frequent hibernation attempts!

can't wait for the weather to get worm enough to take her outside

best luck with your little one, i would suggest removal too. in our case the doctor said she had to take out a good portion around the area to be sure she got all the mass out. i'm not saying to go overboard, but in our case, being sarcoma, wide extraction margins were recommended, and as i've read, it should be the case in all cancer related problems.
you can have a sample extracted (very fine needle) and sent to a lab to determine what exactly the lump is. i remember it cost us something, but it wasn't an arm and leg so to speak.

also, out of experience, these cancerous masses, if you palpate them, they are very dense to the touch, almost rubber like in comparison to normal tissue. our vet immediately said it was a problem on observing and palpating. she scheduled us for the operation during our first visit, when she took the sample for the lab. so she basically did the lab to humor us, but she was sure an extraction was in order. this is our current vet, a very good vet imo.
the other 2 that saw her before said it's either an ingrown quill or an infection... so yeah.. finding a good doc is IMPORTANT! also, the lump she had was growing FAST and i mean fast, it was visibly getting bigger each week. take that into account as well.

best wishes !!

Last edited by misha0209; 04-04-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the updates. Also thank you for your love and caring for your little one.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #30 (permalink)

well, figured it was time to post here again, it's been some time again.
so what happened since i was last here....
the activity levels of our little one decreased steadily over time, to the point where she barely heads down to the lower level of her home to play.
wheel is being ignored or used as a toilet only

she developed some small pimples on her skin in a few places (vet said they are fat spots) but then a few weeks ago 2 of them on her front paw turned bloody red. they cleared right out with betadine in 3 days. sample was taken (one of them was drained) and the result came back as pseudomonas. a nasty bacteria. we did get antibiotics for it, which she finished last week. going to the vet tomorrow for a check up. will post again with results.

she seems to be doing ok, but she has gained some weight she is at 515g (just switched to a blend of hill's r/d and w/d after we got the antibiotic done). hoping the new diet will help her loose some grams. she seems to tire easily, just does one lap around the room, then finds a corner, and sits there.. if i pick her up, after a few huffs, does one more lap around the room, then stops someplace else. it's like she just tires very fast.
will ask the doc if it could be liver related, maybe some milk thistle would help. i realize that after an antibiotic cure (and it was a long one, 2 weeks) you are weak. but this has been the "new" standard for a long time. she is almost 3 years old, maybe age... dunno.. maybe the high temps here also make her want to do nothing, but the aircon keeps her room at 25.5-26C the entire day. problem is at night temp has gone up to 27!

appetite is very much there, and also water intake has gone up.
for related info you might also check a new thread i started to see if somebody can help me with ideas on how to help her slim down:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...-weight-2.html
if anybody has any idea, just post in any of the 2 threads pls.

Tags
bump, cancer, lump, tumor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in