Lump on hedgehog's back, possible tumor? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the bad results. I have no experience with cancer in hedgehogs, but maybe someone else will weigh in. If I'm understanding correctly, so far the cancer (tumours) didn't spread to other parts of the body?
misha0209 likes this.
Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hello,

thank you for the interest, did not think anybody was still reading, so i stopped posting, was going to post again after the 3 month checkup.

you understood correctly, the doctor that did ultrasound, and x-ray said he could not see any sign of other tumors.
also, he said chemo would do her much harm, so he prefers not to do that.

we are giving her a daily 0.1ml dose of 0.5mg/ml (low concentration) meloxicam, doctor said it will help prevent or slow down other tumors from forming. and we're suppose to go back for another checkup in 2 months now.

in the meantime, the hedgie seems quite happy, playing around, sometimes even in the daytime, eating well (even gained 20grams since the operation). keep feeling around and checking to see if lumps pop up, but nothing so far. just enjoying spending each day with her
nikki and Draenog like this.
misha0209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

As i said, would update here as the story develops.
So we went for the checkup the other day.

X-ray, ultrasound as well as physical examination.
Nothing could be detected. The oncologist said he can find no evidence of any cancerous formation. the only problem was that she is a bit fat. but in good health.
We are to stop all medication, and check back in the summer (6 months). Yaaay!!

in the meantime she is fine, exploreing our new home whenever we let her out. appetite is good, and she started drinking water like crazy the last month. only bad things happening were 2 hibernation attempts. got her on a light schedule now. room temp is as always 25.5 to 27 deg celcius.

so yeah, quite happy, hoping she will be with us a long long time !
will write again after the next checkup.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

I initially did not want to post here as this has nothing to do with our initial problem, but since the thread is already started, and in the interest of other users facing the same thing, here goes.

Suddenly, out of the blue, one morning, we noticed (it was so much that a blind man would have noticed it) blood in urine
After the initial panic attack, we scheduled a vet visit. in the meantime did reading up on the forums here, to see what other people went through, and could make a general idea of what's coming our way.

Went to the vet, and the diagnosis was pyometra
Even the vet was amazed, she said she rarely saw this in hedgehogs.
What can i say, our little girl must be very unlucky

The vet wanted to do antibiotics, and see if it clears out, but given what we read here, i insisted on scheduling a spay (not very high tech around here, no laser...).

This was all 2 weeks ago.
We stayed on baytril (antibiotics) for almost 2 weeks and the spay took place yesterday. lost some blood 3 days before the spay so we were really afraid she might be too weak.
The vet confirmed pyometra, and said there is no sign that this ordeal was related to the sarcoma problem, which made us VERY happy.

Basically writing here to ask for any post op care tips.

We took her out of her usual enclosure, got a new habitat, lined it with a sponge and blanket, she's sleeping on a pillow now, with a little towel she likes to have as a blanket.

Been feeding her wet hedgehog food, and she ate well. woke us up 3 times last night too, ate a bit, and felt like exploring the room. so we watched over her so she would not get hurt. she is very wobbly..
Only thing that worries me is that she drank no water since the OP. i am hoping the fluids she gets from the wet food are enough (says 80% moisture on the can). Pooped and peed last night, and a bit this morning. no abnormalities, no blood.
Also giving her metacam for the pain as of 2 hours ago. vet said daily for 5 days.

Any other ideas around here? Something anybody could recommend? She is wobbly and seems to be uncomfortable (i'd be too if somebody sliced open my belly) so i want to help her as much as i can.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm sorry to read the latest on what your little girl is going through
How is she doing after post op?

I don't have any experience with post ops but wanted to comment and bump up your post in case someone else sees it and can give you some more advice. I hope she recovers soon ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you for the interest.
Doing quite well actually. today is the day the vet gave the all clear to stop wrapping her up in a bandage (prevent her from curling up, and getting at the stitches).
so she was very happy to be able to move freely and curl up again.
appetite is still good, though she is eating less than she use to. maybe antibiotics are not helping, but those will be done with tomorrow
she did loose 20 grams since the OP, but is still full of energy and eating on her own. did not have to use a syringe at all with her.
one more week and we have a go to use the wheel, so all things considered, we are on the right track
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Aw that's great to hear, I'm glad she is recovering well

I think that's understable that she'd lose a bit of weight after having major surgery and all the medication but that's a great sign she is willingly to eat on her own and you don't need to stress her out syringe feeding. When my boy had antibiotics to treat a URI I gave him benebac probiotics (in between med doses, don't use at the same time), I just sprinkled a little on his food and he seemed to love the taste, perhaps it's a little sweet? But I have read some hogs didn't like it. You could try probiotics to help get her GI tract back to normal after having the meds, perhaps it might help increase her appetite. Also I've read about Hills A/D (nutrient packed canned food), it's used for sick animals / post ops to help gain weight and kick start appetites again. Ive never used it so just read up about it first. It's recommended on this site
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

thanks for the information.
we've tried 3 types of probiotics with her meals, but she just goes around the food that has probiotic on it or spits it out
but, yesterday was the last day of antibiotic, so i'm hoping to see less sniffing and more munching tonight

will try to get my hands on the canned hill's ad, hope that's what it says on the label.
we feed her some hedgehog canned food, but she has been reluctant to eat it lately.
we did make her her favorite, chicken breast we just make a soup out of carrots, chicken breast and an onion. she absolutely loves it.

PS: if my japanese is worth a **** that's a cute name for you little one (snowball?)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would leave the onion out of the soup, they're not safe for a lot of animals to eat. But Glad she's eating something for you, at least!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I would leave the onion out of the soup, they're not safe for a lot of animals to eat. But Glad she's eating something for you, at least!
Thank you for the info. we only boil it for 15 mins then take it out and throw it away, we do not feed the onion to her. we leave the rest (chicken breast and carrots) to boil for an hour.
but i will do the next batch without it.

Tags
bump, cancer, lump, tumor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in