Vet check-up - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet check-up

Hello,

My hedgehog, Holly, will be a year at the end of August. I took her to the vet earlier this year (I think around March) as she'd lost a tooth, and they gave her worming treatment then.

Anyway, just wondering when people would advise taking her for another checkup? The vet recommended every 6 months I think, to be given the worming treatment. Do people agree?

Cheers, Rachel

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Vet check-up

My vet always recommends a yearly checkup. Was there any specific reason why your vet gave the deworming treatment? I would think it would only be necessary if your hog actually had worms. As for the chipped tooth, do you have him on a water bottle? That may be the cause, in which case you should switch to a bowl
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
My vet always recommends a yearly checkup. Was there any specific reason why your vet gave the deworming treatment? I would think it would only be necessary if your hog actually had worms. As for the chipped tooth, do you have him on a water bottle? That may be the cause, in which case you should switch to a bowl
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The worming (or other parasite?) treatment was given after a stool test. My understanding was this is quite common..? He said that once the parasite is in her it's essentially there permanently and she will therefore need the treatment repeated (and I think he recommended twice a year). I was just wondering how frequently other people got their hedgehogs' health checked.

Re the tooth - no idea what caused it to break She has a water bowl, not a bottle, as per her breeders' advice. She had the stump removed and it hasn't seemed to given her any bother so I'm not overly worried .

Rachel

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_Rachel
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The worming (or other parasite?) treatment was given after a stool test. My understanding was this is quite common..? He said that once the parasite is in her it's essentially there permanently and she will therefore need the treatment repeated (and I think he recommended twice a year). I was just wondering how frequently other people got their hedgehogs' health checked.

Re the tooth - no idea what caused it to break She has a water bowl, not a bottle, as per her breeders' advice. She had the stump removed and it hasn't seemed to given her any bother so I'm not overly worried .

Rachel
Hmmm well I've never had parasite problems with any of my hogs, so I guess wait for others to reply on that matter. But yes, I think there are many people who go in once a year, and there are also some people who don't go until their hogs are sick.

That's too bad But at least she is fine! One of my boys lost one of his fangs as well (but it's because his previous owners had him on a bottle) and he's fine too. It just looks funny when he "smiles"
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_Rachel
Hi,

Rachel
Hmmm well I've never had parasite problems with any of my hogs, so I guess wait for others to reply on that matter. But yes, I think there are many people who go in once a year, and there are also some people who don't go until their hogs are sick.

That's too bad But at least she is fine! One of my boys lost one of his fangs as well (but it's because his previous owners had him on a bottle) and he's fine too. It just looks funny when he "smiles"
Ha, yes, I've told her the boys won't fancy her now!! But since she'll probably never meet a boy, I don't think she's unduly worried!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

so the vet actually found a parasite? if there is i would ask the vet which one.

my non-breeding hedgehogs had always gone to the vet once a year unless there was a problem.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyhogs
so the vet actually found a parasite? if there is i would ask the vet which one.

my non-breeding hedgehogs had always gone to the vet once a year unless there was a problem.
I think it was worms and he gave her the treatment for that, but will check to be exact next time I take her. Both the vet and her breeder seemed to think it wasn't that uncommon or anything to worry about.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I have never had any parasites with any of my hedgies over the years, I'd be interested to hear what kind of parasite it was.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
I have never had any parasites with any of my hedgies over the years, I'd be interested to hear what kind of parasite it was.
I *think* it was worms, but not 100% sure. My understanding was that once it's in their system, it's there to stay, so you need to give them this treatment now and again (which is just a couple of drops of nasty tasting medicine). We went back in March, so I'm a little embarrassed to phone now to ask exactly what parasite it was , so may have to wait until her next appointment - I'll probably take her around Sept again, if she needs the medicine on a 6-monthly basis.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

What kind of water bowl are you using? I had a clear one for my girl, and once she saw it, she started biting it... I think it just freaked her out that she couldn't see it very well...
Ashley.dear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in