times of quilling and other quilling stuff - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default times of quilling and other quilling stuff

a lot of times on the forum there will be confused owners about their hedgehogs loss of quills even though "they have already gone through quilling."

for those who don't know, quilling is when the hedgehog loses it's baby quills and grows in new quills. just like a baby losing it's baby teeth. EXCEPT you should not attempt to help your hedgie by counting to 3 and pulling the quill out for it! (this is just a human parent tradition, not meant for hedgehogs) the quills will fall out on their own and you will most likely find them lying around your hedgie's cage.

now more experienced owners correct me if i'm wrong (and i will edit this post) but, quilling should occur 3 times.

1) Around 6 weeks old
2) Around 9 weeks old
3) Around 12 weeks old

* i don't mean that the hedgehog quills ONCE out of these three times, your hedgie should quill THREE times.

if your Hedgehog is losing quills and is at one of these ages or relatively close (not all Hedgies quill at the exact same time) then it is most likely quilling.

during these times your hedgie might be moodier and won't tolerate being touched very much. this is natural and you shouldn't take it personal. just realize that they are going through a little rough patch as they grow up and be patient.

a lot of times hedgies skin will also dry up during quilling so to help that you can give them an oatmeal bath or drizzle flaxseed oil either on their food or on their back.

* if your hedgehog is older and has already gone through quilling and still loses quills you should talk to your vet. this isn't healthy and could potentially be serious.

and that ladies and gentleman is the original production of " times of quilling and other stuff "
Kelsey the hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: times of quilling and other quilling stuff

Very well written

Rest peacefully and sweet dreams little Thalia 8/25/2012 Mommy and Daddy miss you <3
SquiggyTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiggyTheHedgie
Very well written
thank you i thought we needed a post like this.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My little boy is losing his 12 week quills right now. His skin is sooooo dry. I gave him a bath today with oatmeal shampoo. I also applied flaxseed oil with a toothbrush. I put a little on his food too. My poor baby, I hope he feels better soon, but he's never been huffy even when he's quilling. I did have to have a talk with him while he was in the tub though. First off I informed him that is NOT where we poop. Secondly, yes Briar the top of your head has to be cleaned too. Every time I tried to brush the top off his head he put his visor down. Then he huffed and puffed because of the water he got in his wittle nosey. :P Silly boy!
Abbieshedgie likes this.

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaditz
My little boy is losing his 12 week quills right now. His skin is sooooo dry. I gave him a bath today with oatmeal shampoo. I also applied flaxseed oil with a toothbrush. I put a little on his food too. My poor baby, I hope he feels better soon, but he's never been huffy even when he's quilling. I did have to have a talk with him while he was in the tub though. First off I informed him that is NOT where we poop. Secondly, yes Briar the top of your head has to be cleaned too. Every time I tried to brush the top off his head he put his visor down. Then he huffed and puffed because of the water he got in his wittle nosey. :P Silly boy!
that sounds adorable! glad he isn't in a bad mood! and soon it will all be over for him, and you and him won't have to deal with anymore quilling.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey the hedgehog
that sounds adorable! glad he isn't in a bad mood! and soon it will all be over for him, and you and him won't have to deal with anymore quilling.
I can't wait for him to loose his quills so he doesn't have to go through it again. I am sooo ready for no more quills to the feet, and I'm sure he's tired of being uncomfortable. His skin looks nice and moist since I put the flaxseed on him. I just hope he feels okay. He just seems a like he feels a little tender, but still just as friendly as always. Thanks for the advice a lot of people are like OH NO my hedgehog has MITES!!!! Not the case most of the time

bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

How old is to old???

Sulley is losing quills and he is 4 months old, not a lot but this morning when I was changing his cage I picked up about 5. Then yesterday I picked up about 4. He is grouchy like when he was quilling before. I dunno I am a first time owner so everything he does I kinda freak out just a little bit.

Any answers will help thanks!!
SulleysMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

The 6, 9, 12 weeks thing is really just a guideline. My hog is a regular quill dropper and the vet can't find a thing wrong with her. She's over a year old and loses quills every day.

I have also read about hogs that will have another quilling around a year old.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulleysMom
How old is to old???

Sulley is losing quills and he is 4 months old, not a lot but this morning when I was changing his cage I picked up about 5. Then yesterday I picked up about 4. He is grouchy like when he was quilling before. I dunno I am a first time owner so everything he does I kinda freak out just a little bit.

like hanhan27 said. i would give your hedgie the first year to quill and you shouldn't worry too much. all hedgies are different so it is most definatley not set in stone the times your hedgie will quill. besides losing baby teeth it could be compared to puberty.. some start early..others late.

when i was referring to old i was thinking more like 3-5 range.

did Sulley have a 12 week quilling? if not it might just be really late. or if he did then he could also be losing a few quills due to dry skin. you can try some of the methods i mentioned in the original post for helping with dried skin.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulleysMom
How old is to old???

Kashi was a "late bloomer" he had a bout of quilling at 8 months So I wouldn't worry too much since he's pretty young ^_^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in