Hedgehog Central banner

Dry looking skin on ears?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Juicebox 
#1 ·
I gave my hedgie a bath on Sunday and I didnt notice anything on her ears from Sunday till today till just a little while ago the skin looks as if its peeling. They're like white spots or something and shes been scratching herself alot tonight. And she keeps trying to bite me or something -_-

#3 ·
I dont understand IF it is mites how she couldve gotten them. I havent even had her for a week and I had to give her a bath because she somehow got poop all over her quills and i wasnt gonna leaveher like that. This was the second time i gave her a bath. The first was the day before. Im not sure if thats where I went wrong but she needed that second bath and I used organic shampoos and made sure it didnt go deep under her quills, it was just scrubbing off the poop and rinsing her off. shes been scratching today alot more than lately.

#4 ·
Mites don't go away with just baths. They can come from bedding, if you use shavings or wood pellets, or if she was kept on them before you got her.

It could also just be dry skin, which is likely since you've given her a couple of baths lately. To help that, try putting flax seed oil in her food, a few drops every couple of days. You can also put a couple of drops directly on her back. Try putting an unscented moisturizer on her ears, if she'll let you touch them. If she keeps scratching even after her skin doesn't look very dry, then it could be mites or a fungal infection and she needs a vet visit.

#5 ·
Well I tried the mites test where you hold them on a black shirt and white things came out but they didnt move so its not mites. I guess she just has dry skin so i will try the moisturizer thing and the flax seed oil. Thanks. :)

#6 ·
just so you know, even if you didn't see anything it could still be mites.

Mites may not affect a hedgehog until it's immune system lowers, such as the stress caused by changing homes. Just because you didn't see anything your hedgehog may still have mites. Try the flax seed first, and if it doesn't get any better see a vet for a skin scraping.

If your hedgie does have mites, request the use of revolution as opposed to any alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.