needing advice on hedgehog abnormal behavior - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default needing advice on hedgehog abnormal behavior

My hedgehog is a little over a year old, and for a few weeks has had extremely smelly urine. Her urine has never smelled before, and though it is improving (and according to my parents is pretty much back to normal), I'm concerned. Her behavior in general concerns me because she is usually extremely friendly, and never balls up. However lately she has been acting grumpy to me and my father (whom she usually loves to death). Right now she is with my parents, as I am finishing up school, but I'm not sure if I should have them take her to a vet because I'm sometimes overly cautious. The only other odd thing about her is a tiny (like pencil point) little growth that looks like a nipple but is near her armpit area. Am I just overreacting? Could she just be acting more grumpy that normal and the smelly urine was a result of her being in heat or something? She's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally. Any advice appreciated, thanks!
laura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: needing advice on hedgehog abnormal behavior

The only thing I have to offer is that you should never worry about taking an animal to the vet. I realize that a trip can put stress on a hedgehog which should try to be avoided but in my opinion, it's always better to be safe than sorry. I made my parents take our beagle and my quaker parrot even though they thought they were fine. We ended up catching a slipped disk in our beagle and found out my quaker was close to the end.

As to the specifics in your post, I don't have any answers for you, I'm sure someone else does. I just want people to know that going to the vet over concerns is never a bad thing. At least I don't think so. Good luck!
jabment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Any time there is a change in behaviour its very possible to be from a health problem, so can unusually smelly urine. You really need to take her to the vet asap. The growth could possibly be a tumor and if caught early it would be easier to treat. Your hedgie is showing signs of illness and need to be seen by a vet. Also hedgies do not come into heat like other animals and are induced ovulators which means they only come into "heat" when directly exposed to a male.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow I didn't know that about them being in heat. I called Cornell who treats my sugar gliders and am waiting for a call back but as they are taking long, I might just use the list of vets on here. Are these vets all hedgehog knowledgeable? I'm just worried because one vet trip for her was by a doctor who didn't even know hedgehogs very well! My parents assure me nothing is wrong, but I really feel that there is...thanks for pushing me on the cautious side. I just needed someone to tell me that I wasn't being neurotic!
laura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in