Hedgie crying during the day :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie crying during the day :(

Hey guys,
Seems like I'm forever having problems with my babies So Nymeria has this thing where I'll here her kind of crying/squeaking/making a strange unhappy sounding noises from her igloo. If I hear it I look in on her and she's always just standing in her igloo. Once or twice she was pooping. Any idea what it could be? I don't think it's anything like constipation because she seems pretty regular. I'm asking because today she's been crying like that 3 times and for the life of me I can't work out what's wrong. She has food, water and her cage is warm.. I'm at a bit of a loss :S I don't like the idea of her being in pain or anything

Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie crying during the day :(

A lot of hedgehogs sometimes "talk" in their sleep. Perhaps this is what is happening? I know my Kazooie squeaks every now and then during the day when she is asleep, and I've certainly read several other cases of this as well (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

My friend Kim has one that talks in his sleep too. It is quite cute at times. He also talks to us in squeaks when we give him a bath. I will ask her about it and see if it may be the same thing. I read some of your old post too. You have been through so much with those two. You really are their guardian angel.

Visit my etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TiggyWinklesCloset
Isismommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

haha thanks I sure hope that's it! It's just such an unhappy sound that I worry lol Maybe I'm just being over protective but you know how it is
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I showed Kim your post and she said that it would be best to take her into the vet and just get her checked. She said that normally the sounds hedgies make when sleep are sweet or cute. If your hedgie sounds like she is sad or even in pain she very well could be. Sorry , I know it's not what you would want to hear but that's what I found out. I hope it's nothing and if it is something that she feels better soon.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm yeah I thought as much :/ I chatted to my vet about it and he reckoned I should see how she goes and if she does it again to bring her down. He doesn't really know what it might be but he said that if it carries on to bring her down. Hope she's ok :/
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hope so too. If you have the money to get an x-ray done to check for cancers that would probably good to just rule out. I will send you good vibes either way.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah she seems to have stopped so that's something encouraging and the vet doesn't seem to think it's anything major, at least he couldn't see anything the matter with her. He thought it might be digestive issues to do with her being on antibiotics for so long with her chest infection. I had a load saved up for emergencies but that got chewed up straight away because I had to keep bringing her back for different antibiotics >< I'm going to look into maybe getting her x-rayed if there is somewhere near by that I can afford, I'll have to price around I'd say. Bit of a bad time money wise at the moment as I'm not working because I've my final year exams for college soon. If she gets bad again though I'll just borrow money of my parents and take her down straight away. My poor baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in