Staph - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Staph

Hi.
I recently have been diagnosed with having a staph infection on my legs and I am worried about my hedgehog.
She's been itching quiet a lot in the past two weeks but theres really no other signs. No quills have fallen out and there is no sores or scabs. I did the whole mite test with a black cloth and nothing.
I does seem like she has staph on her but it's just not getting bad?

I would like to know if theres anything I can do for her to help kill the bacteria. Like, would bathing her with baby shampoo help? I have given her a bath three days ago but I only used a little bit of oil thinking it might have been dry skin.
JadeJackson22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Staph

Let me just give a disclaimer by saying my only experience with MRSA is in humans when I was an MA. It's HIGHLY contagious between humans, but I don't know about animals. In my opinion, you should take your hedgie to the vet and get a professional diagnosis-- he'll be able to run an actual test to see if that's what's going on, and if it's MRSA, he'll be able to help you figure out a plan of attack to treat it. I found this site about MRSA (aka staph) in animals: http://tahilla.typepad.com/petsmrsa . Maybe it might be of some assistance? Again, I have no experience with animals having MRSA, not even in my vet tech-ing days, so I can't be of much help. I just know that MRSA is very painful for humans (I'm so sorry you have it!! No fun!!), and I suspect it could cause some very serious problems for such a small animal, so in my opinion it's best not to take any risks and to just take your hedgie in to the vet. Be sure to tell him your concerns over the phone before you come in though, so that he and his techs are prepared (ie, they would be extra careful to handle her with gloves so as not to possibly pass it on to other animals). Your vet would know best in this situation. My concern would be that if the hedgie has MRSA, it's an infection that's not likely to go away with baby shampoo, and taking her in to get some treatment for her would be your safest bet. Even if she doesn't turn out to have it, the vet will be able to answer questions for you that online advice probably couldn't answer. Best of luck, both to your hedgie and yourself!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Staph

Thank you so much for the reply and website!
Ill see what I can do for my hedgie.
JadeJackson22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in