Tooth Abscess or Tumor? HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tooth Abscess or Tumor? HELP

Okay heres the story, i am hog sitting a hedgehog named Hedgie for one of the teachers at my school and when i went to take him home on wednesday i noticed that he was drooling really badly so i called the teacher over and she said that it wasnt normal for him, i also noted that he had a piece of "food" in his cheek so i picked him up out of his pen and looked into his mouth, it wasnt his food but it was a huge abscess like ball in his mouth, about as big as a jelly bean, it isnt obstructing his airway or his mouth, but i have no idea what to do, because since its Easter break here, and tomorrow is good friday, then Easter the vets offices are not open untill next Tuesday! I called the vet a half hour away from me and they said they couldnt help me as the vet there didnt know a thing about hedgehogs. so its been a day and im not sure if its getting bigger or smaller but he is eating and drinking fine, his poop is normal colour and form, he isnt drooling anymore but he chews on the abscess or what ever it is and it bleeds all over his face, but after it bleeds it seems smaller.

the teacher said he was about 3 1/2 years old but she isnt positive as she bought him from another lady, adn at the moment im only hog sitting him, she knew about the bump but said " If he dies its not your fault, and if you have to take him to the vet remember im not made of money." so i have only had him for a day so i dont know if there are any changes in his behavior that she or i noticed and he didnt develop this while at my house, the temperature of his pen is 21*C and the lighting is from 7 am- 7:30pm.

the teacher said she hadnt noticed anything strange about his face before then so im not sure how long he has had it, but it hasnt been more then 4 days because i saw him on monday and he did not have it. and I have no idea of he has lost weight or gained weight. he is peeing and pooping normally, his nose is wet but im not sure if thats a problem, he isnt sneezing or coughing, just the normal hedgie noises and his breathing speeds up when i pick him up but thats probably usual. his food has sunflower seeds in it so im not feeding him that anymore it was called " 8 in 1 Ultra Bites for Hedgehogs, fruit and veggie treat" it has ground yellow corn as the first ingredient, im feeding him his other food, its called "Nutrient Rich Hedgehog Diet" the first ingredients are, poultry by-product meal, chicken fat,corn, corn gluten meal, chicken digest, wheat flour, choline chloride, and then its just a bunch more words like the last one, things i have no idea what they are.

as for his skin and quills im not sure if the quills are supposed to be close together or not so close as you can see his skin, and it looks like well skin, and i dont see any quills in the bottom of the pen, so they arent falling out. and he isnt vomiting or any of that and his activity levels are normal ( trust me i know he kept me up all last night and i had a math test today which im sure i failed badly, thanks Hedgie) and he isnt on any medication or anything so i will try to get a picture of his face, but i dont know how easy that will be.

Here are some pictures of his face:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 4v99r0.jpg

i know its horrible but i just took them with my sister and she had the camera and she is afraid of him

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 4v99xm.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 4v9a22.jpg

i hope the pictures show up but ya thats his face, the left side ( which is viewed from the right, so its the right cheek in the photo, but you cant miss the bump) is swollen from the lump

[/url

Dallas Came Home April 21st 2012
Shade and Oliver came Home September 9th 2012

http://spiritwolves1.deviantart.com/
SpiritWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tooth Abscess or Tumor? HELP

I am so sorry that you were put into that situation. Your teacher really should have taken the hedgehog home with her to get the hedgehog medical care. I don't have any experience with this, but I do hope that someone will be along soon to advise you.

You mentioned that you were a student. Are you over the age of 18, where you could get vet care on your own? Does your teacher live nearby where she can pick up the hedgehog and get it to the vet?

It does look pretty swollen and if the hedgehog is drooling, then it would seem that it would impede his eating. I'm really very sorry that you are put in this situation. I would contact your teacher and ask for permission to go to the vet. I would think that if she doesn't want to fix the tumor or abscess (or whatever it is), she at least should not be opposed to providing pain relieving medication.

Again, I'm very sorry you're in that situation. I don't think your teacher should have let you take the hedgehog home, knowing that it had a problem.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

The hedgehog food and treats that he is on are not really recommended, I believe those treats also have raisins in them which are a hazard to hedgehogs. He/She should be eating a high quality cat food, but right now that is the least of your problems.

That abscess/tumour, looks really awful. In my experience they have been known to grow very quickly and I would recommend to get it checked out (if possible) as soon as you can because soon it might impede his ability to eat, or worse breath.

Like Rainy said, I am very sorry you are stuck in this situation. It's hard to have a sick animal that you are only watching, when the owner is reluctant to take him to a vet. It look's very uncomfortable for him, especially if he is drooling. Drooling is not normal.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

over night the swelling of the abscess ( as my mom has confirmed, sort of, because it popped a bit last night) has really gone down, its probably half of what it was last night, he isnt drooling anymore, and he is a total piggy when he eats, and i havent been giving him that food, i looked it up and its horrible! he has been eating that stuff his whole life pour guy and so i have been feeding him hard boiled egg mushed up and i will be cooking him chicken and some ham burger tonight. he absolutely LOVES apple sauce, the just plane kind my sisters wont eat, and the egg and he does have meal worms too. I am 14 on the 18 of this month but my mom talked to the teacher and the teacher said if we took him to the vet she would pay us back and she left for PEI i think yesterday and im in Sask, so she would not be able to take him in at the moment. if you guys have any good food recommendations or recipies please post them as i would like to get him onto some better food because he does have some bald spots in his quills which have been there since the teacher got him so i think thats from pour diet and a dirty cage.

His cage when I went to get him from my school was full of poop and food and he was EATING the food covered in his own feces! she only cleaned the cage every 2 weeks and so I washed it yesterday and everything that was in it too so now it has a liner and his bedding is clean and there isnt any food or feces spilled because if he does not go in his litter i clean it up because i live on a farm with 4 cats a black lab and my pet Tiger Salamander if there homes arent cleaned they get sick too so i am hoping that with a clean bed and house better food and more attention this will blow over, thanks for the advice guys and i hope you never have to go through anything like this either.

[/url

Dallas Came Home April 21st 2012
Shade and Oliver came Home September 9th 2012

http://spiritwolves1.deviantart.com/
SpiritWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bless you for your concern and caring for this innocent and helpless little hedgie. You are truly a wonderful person!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am really amazed that you are doing so great with this hedgehog, you are looking up all the information and doing the right things! Your teacher wasn't taking very good care of the little guy haha my boyfriend says you should fake the hedgies death and keep it at your home where you can care for it properly.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

It would be a lot easier to make decisions about changing his food if he belonged to you. But since your teacher owns him, it is really up to her whether or not she wants to change his diet. I would continue to give the hedgehog food because that's what he knows and what he's used to eating. You could try offering a few kibbles of dry cat food (if that's what you feed your cats), as long as the food label says that it has less than 35% protein and around 15% fat. I would not take his old food away because if you change his diet and your teacher doesn't want to feed it to him, then you are upsetting his tummy for no reason. Giving him new and different food can upset his stomach and cause green poop. I would not change it unless you have your teacher's permission and she agrees to follow through with the new food. I'm really glad that you want to give him better food, but if your teacher doesn't give him the kind that you do, then it's just making him and his tummy upset for no reason.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am impressed that you are only 14 and are so responsible. You are right every two weeks is not enough, and the hedgehog is lucky that there is someone like you to take of him properly. Feces on his food? that is just ridiculous.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is it bad that I'm totally with Alyssinreality's boyfriend? This poor baby sounds like he's had a rough go, I'm glad he's getting good care with you! Is it possible the teacher would just give him to you? I don't think a teacher should have a class pet if they don't care for it properly, that's just setting a bad example to the students. In highschool our chemistry teacher was the same way with his class pets-- he had no idea what he was doing and had no business keeping those poor exotics. After the fifth snake died in one month, I went to the office and complained to the principal about it and explained that the care was bad enough to qualify for animal control to come and remove the animals. After that, all of the animals went to loving homes and the cage space became lab space. My teacher didn't mean badly, but he didn't have the time or education to care for those animals properly. Maybe if the hedgehog-owning teacher was given a good option for the hedgehog other than the classroom they'd take advantage of that? It's worth a shot to ask!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasIgelPoggie
Is it bad that I'm totally with Alyssinreality's boyfriend? This poor baby sounds like he's had a rough go, I'm glad he's getting good care with you! Is it possible the teacher would just give him to you? I don't think a teacher should have a class pet if they don't care for it properly, that's just setting a bad example to the students. In highschool our chemistry teacher was the same way with his class pets-- he had no idea what he was doing and had no business keeping those poor exotics. After the fifth snake died in one month, I went to the office and complained to the principal about it and explained that the care was bad enough to qualify for animal control to come and remove the animals. After that, all of the animals went to loving homes and the cage space became lab space. My teacher didn't mean badly, but he didn't have the time or education to care for those animals properly. Maybe if the hedgehog-owning teacher was given a good option for the hedgehog other than the classroom they'd take advantage of that? It's worth a shot to ask!
Yes! I agree totally with this. The cage really does need to be cleaned more often. That has to smell horrible in the class and for the teacher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in