Some yellowy skin flakes - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some yellowy skin flakes

So Diggy has been very itchy. He always has really dry flaky skin. I think he is quilling right now as he is losing probably like 4 or 5 quills a day. I have been spraying him with Humilac to help soothe the dry skin. I shined a flashlight on him last night and noticed in a couple spots that some of his skin flakes were yellow. It freaked me out because I know yellow crustiness can be a sign of mites. He is eating and drinking normal. His ears look healthy and I don't see anything moving, not even on a black tshirt. I don't know if he has been scratching since I started the humilac, as I have been sleeping good at night and the only time I notice his scratching is when I cannot sleep.
Could the humilac be making the skin flakes yellow? Or is something wrong?
I can try to make a vet appointment for friday if it sounds like mites but I wanted to give it more time. Or possibly wash off that dry skin in a bath and wait to see if the yellow comes back or not? I'm great at jumping to conclusions and with the first vet visit being such a flop I don't want to rush into this.

Like I said he's acting completely normal besides scratching due to dry skin and losing quills but I think he is quilling.

What do?

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Some yellowy skin flakes

It's probably the spray but someone that has used Humilac can tell you for sure. I have used a product called Hydra Pearls and it made some of the larger flakes go yellow.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you use flaxseed oil for the dry skin prior to using Humilac? If so, has he had a bath since the last time you used the flaxseed oil?

Back when we used flaxseed oil, Archimedes' flaky skin and the bits of it that came off him definitely had a yellowish color. To be sure that was what caused it, I gave Archimedes a bath and then went several days without dribbling the flaxseed oil on him; following the bath, the flaky skin was back to normal. As soon as I started using the flaxseed oil on him again, it turned yellow again. So that's my first thought for this, since I know flaxseed oil is the first thing most people try as a possible solution/help with dry skin problems.

If not that, it's possible that it's the Humilac, though I haven't had that happen personally.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

*HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF*
Have I ever told you guys how much I love you?

And yeaah I used to use flaxseed oil and I'm pretty sure I put some on him after his last bath a few weeks ago. So that could be it. Or the humilac cuz I was putting quite a bit on him. I'm going to stop for a few days cuz I don't want him to be all greasy all the time haha but he had major dry skin so I really wanted to make sure I got rid of it.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad I could help! :]

The Humilac is designed to not be greasy, and for me it hasn't been. After it dries it's kind of like it's not there. But yeah, the flaxseed oil will leave a yellow tinge that can actually kind of last for a while. We kept using the flaxseed up until we switched to Humilac, and there was definitely a little bit left over for a week or two. Not very visible once the dry skin is gone, since it pretty much just colors the flakes, but because it's an oil residue, even a bath doesn't necessarily get rid of all of it.

Now that Archimedes' skin has cleared up, I use the Humilac about twice a week just to keep his skin moisturized and prevent the dry skin from returning.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

My little Timmy has dry yellow skin, on his leg there is a huge buildup of it which pulls off. It turned out timmy has ringworm so that could be what the yellow skin is.
Amculck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I sure hope that isn't it, but I'm pretty sure it's what moxieberry said. I noticed some yellow skin on him again but I think it is whenever I spray humilac on him. Either that or its from pee getting on him. it isn't stuck on him or anything just little yellow flakes sitting on his back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in