Hedgehog green poop(?) and eating his fleece - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog green poop(?) and eating his fleece

Hello guys,
I got a second little hedgie about two weeks ago. He was already about 4 months old when I got him so he wasnt completely a baby. He seemed healthy for the most part aside from the dry ears which i gave him flaxseed oil for. During the first week, his wheel was smeared with poop, which is normal of course, but there usually also was a few spots of green stuff. I first thought its probably because he is adapting to new food and environment, but still there are a few smudges of that color on his wheel.
Second issues seems to be that hes eating his fleece stuff. Two days ago I put in all fleece stuff switching from wood shaving. After the first night it was okay, but after the second night, this morning, the poop in his wheel was all full of fleece fluff. Now I dont know if this is because he is trying to anoint it because its something new or what? Hopefully he stops...

Anyone has any idea about either of this issues?
Thank you
evilguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you quarantine him for a week from your other hedgehog? Are their cages close to each other or in the same room?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

How small is the fleece for him to eat it or is he taking bites of it?
You shouldn't change the food so soon after taking him in, he needs to settle first.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
Did you quarantine him for a week from your other hedgehog? Are their cages close to each other or in the same room?
They are in the same room but never interacted with each other.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis-Ichiro View Post
How small is the fleece for him to eat it or is he taking bites of it?
You shouldn't change the food so soon after taking him in, he needs to settle first.
I am guessing he scratched at the fleece and small fluffs came off and he ate that?
When i got him from the breeder, they didnt give me any of the food he had there so i had to feed him something else unfortunately
Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Is your other hedgehog a male or a female.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Is your other hedgehog a male or a female.
Theyre both males. My older one is about 1 year old
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

So I went to check up on him and he made a big ball of fluff in the middle of the cage.. Its weird cuz i dont think he was eating it this time, more just digging at it but he definitely dragged it out from his fleece tunnel. He was also covered in it. Really not sure what to make of it. So any advice on this would be great, please
Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

What kind of fleece are you using? Some cheap fleeces fluff up or fall apart and your hedgie could eat it. Some good kinds are Polar fleece, Blizzard fleece, Antipill fleece, or another option is Vellux which doesn't pill but is heavier and harder to clean.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

i have a variety of both anti-pill and blizzard fleece for my liners and cozy items and wylie still manages to scratch it all up despite diligent nail trimmings... i found this lessened slightly when i packed his bed (where he does most of his digging) with fleece strips and provided him a dig box in his cage filled with more fleece strips and hedgie-safe toys! (i use ping-pong balls, very large buttons big enough so as to not be a choking hazard think bigger than a bottle cap, pet safe jingle balls, treats, and sometimes a mealworm!) another good idea for a scratcher is a flower pot! make sure it's hedgie safe but wylie loves to scratch and dig inside his and it naturally wears down his nails gently. if i provide alternate areas for him to rip apart safely he doesnt destroy my snuggle sacks and liners AND he wont swallow fuzz.

visit our etsy store
happytreecompany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
eating fleece, green poop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in