Hedgehog seems to be using his wheel less - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hammy
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog seems to be using his wheel less

Hello guys.
I read a couple of threads already but Im doing a new thread for a specific reason.
So basically Ive had my hedgehog for about a year now and for the past week or so, maybe a little more no exactly sure, hes been using his wheel less. I also got a new hedgehog exactly a week ago and I am really not sure whether these two things are connected.
My older one, Fitz, has always used his wheel nightly for hours and i know because they are in my room and wake me up sometimes. Now he doesnt seem to use it much or at all. I also changed his comfort wheel to a bucket wheel maybe 5 days ago, and I thought maybe that was a reason for his inactivity since there was much poop in it in the morning and i think i might have heard him fall/slip off from it a couple of times. Yesterday I put his comfort wheel back in to see if that was the issue; when i went into my room in the evening there was some poop in it and he was running in it I believe but he hides when i come in. This morning there wasnt fresh poop in it from the night so I dont know if he used it at all after that.
He also seems to be eating a little less than usual so I started weighing him more frequently. During the past week hes been hovering around 400g, give or take 5g depending on the day.
Besides that he seems to be healthy and is generally acting the same way he was before (very grumpy and jumpy). Anybody got an idea what might be the issue? Could it be the other hedgehog since their cages are right next to each other? They both have CHE lamps which I got this past week so I doubt the temperature is an issue. Ill also be switching over to fleece from bedding hoping itll be better for them.
Should I be worried or just keep an eye on him for a bit longer?
Any help is much appreciated!
evilguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check his feet and legs for injury. Check to see if his nails are too long. Check to see if the wheeo is wobbly or broken. Make sure the wheep is in the spot it's normally in and that the height/angle setting is the same. You can also try putting some treats on the wheel. Some hedgies don't potty on the wheel so that leaves you little evidence of if he has used it. Sprinkle a small amount of flour in the wheel tonight so if he uses it you'll see foot prints. Good luck! How long has this been going on? What temperature is the cage? Does he have a light schedule? What are you feeding him? If this continues, take him to a vet.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

His feet seem healthy. When i take him out he walks around like he usually does. His nails might be a bit longer than they should be but its very hard to cut them since he instantly balls up and even bites when I try to. But it didnt seem to be an issue in the past.
Ill try the flour thing, but hes not big on treats at all so dont think he would eat it.
Usually when he uses the wheel its smeared all around with poop, thats why when it hasnt been most days this week i got a little worried.
Its been going on for a week give or take. Temperature is in the mid to high 70. What do you mean by light schedule?

Old 01-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does your hedgehog have light for at least 12-14 hours everyday? Sunlight does not count.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well the curtains open during the day but I dont usually leave the light on. Should I? Ive had him for a year and it didnt seem to bother him
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is absolutely crucial for him to have artificial lightening. The sunlight from your curtains won't do because sunlight is not guaranteed to appear everyday. Also the length the sun stays up gets shorter during winter time. For example I have a timer and plugged my desk lamp to it. My boy's light schedule is from 10:30 am to 10:30 pm. Ceiling light will do also. This might be the cause why your boy has become less active.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Okay, Ill leave the lights on during the day and see what the effect will be in a couple of days. Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just curious, do you have a thermostat for your CHE's?

Besides the lighting schedule, it may actually be that there's suddenly a new hedgehog next door.

I had another hedgehog as a rescue for a couple months, they stayed in the same room (not cage) after he finished isolation time, and during his stay with us I noticed that my personal hedgehog stopped running. She'd still eat and her attitude was mostly the same (she got a little grumpier after a month or two), but as soon as the rescue hedgehog got adopted, she was back to her normal self and started running again.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Did you quarantine the new hedgehog before putting it in the same room as your first hedgehog?
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
new hedgehog, stopped using wheel, weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in