Self-mutilating Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Self-mutilating Hedgehog

Hello, my hedgehog is almost one year old. She is in quite a good health, when we suddenly found her with a scar under her neck. We were wondering where it came from when suddenly she was biting her wound open.

We took her to the vet, from which she received amoxicilin/clavulanate antibiotic doses and antibiotic ointment to be put on her wound. HOWEVER, somehow she keeps on biting her wound open AGAIN.

Since the second wound was even deeper, we took her to the vet immediately and got a bottle of Virbac bitterant spray. The biting reduces, but we found her biting the wound still. Yes, even after we applied the very bitter bitterant spray.

Anyone has ever encountered the situation before? Will this behaviour continue? Then how can I get her to stop biting her wounded neck? It is very horrible and heart breaking to see her bleeding and re-bleeding despite the wound care.
snowthehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok, this is not a fun one. I'm actually dealing with this (again) and it's just no fun whatsoever.

Here's what I've determined so far: Once they start causing wounds on themselves, they wound will start to heal. Once it starts to heal it starts to itch. Once it itches they start chewing it open again. Then the cycles starts over. Frankly, there's no good one size fits all way to deal with this. I've made a habit of getting my girl out of her cage if I happen to hear her chewing on herself again. I wrap her up in a blanket and let her sleep. She doesn't seem too keen on doing it while she's in my lap. So that helps a little.

You may do a round of Revolution just in case there's mites involved causing additional itching.

Aside from that, you're going to basically have to live through it. Keep up with any medications the vet gives you, keep an eye on the wound and keep the vet updated with any changes or lack of changes.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am currently having quite a success with Virbac Wound-Gard Spray from the vet, although my hedgie still needs to be watched very closely. Anybody else experiencing this?
snowthehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in