Hedgehog loosing too many quills? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog loosing too many quills?

Esatas 2 months and 11 days old, every night i check whereever she hid and i count how many quills she lost, she usually looses around 10... Lately shes been hiding under her fleece, (she has fleece bedding) instead of her home. Today i got up to find many many quills under her wheel, and all around the cage, i found exactly 70, and im sure there are a few more inside of there... im assuming i should be worried, i cant see any patches of lost quills, so i guess it was all over her body. Theres no skin attatched, so i guess it's probably not mites. and im pretty sure shes supposed to be quilling right now but 70s a high number... Yesterday i did give her a little water bath, i didnt use any soap, i just put her in the water and let her rinse off from any dirty stuff on her. It did cover her quills, and i dont think i dried her enough, i googled stuff today and maybe her skin dried so she just lost more quills?

also, im not sure if this makes any difference, she has black/white/brown quills mostly, but she has patches of plain white, she mostly lose her white quills. Im not sure if that means anything, she usually always looses the white ones.

does anyone know what i should do about this? and know what might be wrong?
avoth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog loosing too many quills?

Sounds like quilling to me. It is completely normal. I am sure someone with more experience can give more insight.
hedgielove89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

i know its quilling but the amount i saw on the floor looked insane, 70 in one night just doesnt seem right, yesterday she shed 25, during the day which also is a lot for her, like i said she usually sheds around 10 a night... should i be a worried?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoth
i know its quilling but the amount i saw on the floor looked insane, 70 in one night just doesnt seem right, yesterday she shed 25, during the day which also is a lot for her, like i said she usually sheds around 10 a night... should i be a worried?
I believe it is still quilling, my baby used to have his entire floor covered in them I used to put olive oil on my hog to help with the dryness.
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoth
Sounds like a bunch of quills accumulated under the fleece and you are now finding them. As long as no bald spots are found,or have skin on them like mites,than no need to worry.
kittyeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

And as for the quills she is losing being mostly white, she might be changing color. You can learn more about color changing/ fading in the color section of the forum.
kittyeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks everyone! but i dont think they just accumulated under the fleece, i didnt find many under the fleece, maybe like 10 of them in total, i checked all throughout it. i found nearly all of them in one spot infront of the wheel, i guess they all fell off as she ran and slid off the wheel. and ill try that oil thing, im just so used to seeing only a few quills each night i just freaked out when i saw that many
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the amount of quills being shed during quilling isn't always consistent. In Archimedes' last 1-2 weeks of quilling he was suddenly losing three times as many each day compared to what he'd been losing before that. With some hedgehogs it's so many that if they shake themselves they just scatter quills in all directions.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in