Weak, 6 month girl . not eating Help!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weak, 6 month girl . not eating Help!!

our 6 month Poinky has stopped eating,wheeling.was only seen drinking very weak. She has seen vet and diagnosed with urinary infection. We have been treating her for ten days with antibiotic SMZ/TMP. After 10 days we could tell she wasn't doing any better so she went back for another vet visit. The vet said she lost significant amount of weight. She apparently was not eating at all. we now count all the pieces of cat food now . She has Iams food. The vet said she is bleeding in her gut by looking at her poop. i took some poop off her wheel and noticed it was black and shiny and thin.So I agree with that diagnosis. Thing is how this has happened? She has been seen eating some worlds greatest cat litter about three weeks ago but it is not in her cage now. Vet doesn't seem to think that is what caused her problems. The vet said she was too small to scope so she is treating her for an assortment of ailments hoping to treat the right thing. She got a shot of vitamins. She is on lots of meds. They are CIMETIDINE for stomach ulcers.SUCRAFATE to coat her stomach. She has to take this1hr before all meds or feedings. She is also taking METRONIDAZOLE which is another antibiotic. We are instructed to feed her three times 3ccs of a mixture of 1tbs of recovery can cat food with 1tbs of rice baby cereal with fruit. We are very worried . She has been discovered to have a purple/bluish nose. Maybe not enough oxygen or iron? we have had her on these meds since Saturday. She has not touched her food and struggles when being fed or syriged her meds which we keep in the fridge. Thats O.K.right? to give it to her cold? All she does is sleep. Any suggestions on what could be wrong with her?
traipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Weak, 6 month girl . not eating Help!!

Did the vet give her subq fluids? You really do need to get food into her. Yes, they sure can put up a fight about it but keep trying and if she won't take much at a time, try more often. Warming the meds slightly and the food will make it more enticing. To warm the meds, just suck the dosage up in the syringe and leave it sit for a couple of minutes to take the chill off. Also, mixing the metronidazole with the food will help disguise the taste and might make her more accepting. Metronidazole is horrid tasting. If she doesn't like the recovery formula, you can try giving her goats milk or mix the recovery with a bit of goats milk. Try syringing her every 2 hours so you get a decent amount into her.

The main thing is to get food into her. You can also give her Royal Canin Baby Cat. Most hedgehogs love it. Put some in her bed with her as often they will eat if the food is right there.

Sending prayers for her.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thankyou Nancy for your reply. One other concern I have is the bluish tint that she has about her. Her nose skin is blue her pimple under her chin is blue,it is blue where her whiskers come out also on her feet and tummy where there is no hair.She is an apricot color hedgie. If there was such a thing as a real Sonic hedgeie I would think she was converting to one. But really do you think she is anemic? maybe have Luekemia? maybe it the side effect of losing blood internally. She looks like she has bruises in the areas I mentioned.I am afraid seriously that we are going to lose her . It seems only a matter of time. Hope she isn't suffering.I don't know what else to do . The vet bills have already amounted to quite alot

Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe she did get fluids at the vet also.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well Poinky got weaker and weaker and we felt that she was suffering,so we made the difficult decision to have her put to sleep. She is no longer suffering. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the lack of response to my two posts . Rest in peace Poinky
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am so sorry!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Breeders

So sorry for your loss.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh no I'm so sorry traipse for your loss. RIP little one
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss. Usually when there aren't many replies to a thread like this its because no one knows what to suggest to help. Nancy gave you wonderful advice and there really wasn't anything else we could do. I'm sorry.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so difficult when your little one gets sick. HUGS.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in