Dry, itchy skin with abnormal quill coloring. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Boo

Default Dry, itchy skin with abnormal quill coloring.

Hello there,
My hedgehog Muffin is about 8 months old and has been experiencing horrible skin problems. We have been to the vet a number of times now with no improvement. She has had 2 doses of ivermectin (I didn't like that idea, but vet recommended it) and 1 dosage of revolution (even though my vet had never heard of it being used on a hedgehog before) after he researched it a bit. Now, no mites were found on Muffin on our first visit, but because it was obvious something was wrong as her quills and yellow gunk at the base of them and were an odd color ( yellowy see through) he gave her a dose of ivermectin. We then went back two weeks later and 1 live mite was found. Another does of ivermectin and out we went. The problem persisted and I headed back about a month later. No mites were found, so I insisted he researched revolution for her, which he did and gave her a dose (.04, or .4- I can't remember). Because this has still not helped, and a good amount of her quills are still discolered and she still has extremely dry skin, could this be anything else? Pictures arn't fantastic but are below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (81.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (25.3 KB, 253 views)
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dry, itchy skin with abnormal quill coloring.

Hi Boo,

My 4 month old kiwi is going through the same thing and i know it can be stressful because you keep spending money and just want her to get better. Kiwi currently has the crusty yellow quills and severe quill loss with the really flaky skin. I went to the vet and they did three skin scrapes and no mites were present although she is going through revolution treatment. My vet told me that mites can still be there even though none were seen but in your case one was found. My vet also told me that alot of vets sometimes have very little experience with our little ones and the dose of revolution can be too low. How experienced is your vet? Another thing is the crusty quills could possibly be ringworm but it has to be tested and can take a month to find out. Watch for red sores especially around the ears. It is found through a fecal sample so that's also something to think about. Kiwi also ended up with giardia probably from wax worms i fed her so now i grow my own insects because i'm paranoid about other people's bugs. So my vet thinks it's a combo of mites/giardia/ringworm...poor thing. I now put a humidfier in her room and it helps alot with her dry skin because with the revolution you don't wanna bathe them for atleast a week after treatment.If you consider buying one buy a cool mist humidifier. Nutrition is another thing to consider. what are you feeding her? although with the yellow quills it sounds like infection. Perhaps a second opinion is in order and you could find another vet. I know you can find vets in your state on this forum too. So i know i gave you lots of ideas but I'm am going through the same issue and i know it can be worrisome so, i hope this helps and let me know what happens! Good luck!
cleibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have to disagree with cleibson on one thing, which is the suggestion of a cool mist humidifier. A warm mist one is what's suggested, because the cool mist ones can easily harbor bacteria and put those into the air.

I don't have any suggestions for what the cause might be, though I have very occasionally (maybe 2-3 times) seen quills like that on Archimedes, except the weird part was on the tip, so not necessarily the same.

For the dry skin itself, I would highly suggest trying Humilac, which is a topical spray. I saw this recommended several times around the site and we recently bought it for Archimedes, who still had very flaky dry skin even after quilling finished, and with a humidifier right next to his cage for the last month. (I think at least for us, it's related to it being winter, which makes the air very dry.) When we tried Humilac, Archimedes seemed to really enjoy the feeling of having it sprayed on him, and more importantly, there was an immediate different the next day. After 3-4 days there is literally no flaky/dry skin visible anymore. This stuff is fantastic. XD

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would ask Nancy, Kalandra, Lizard Girl, Nikki or Larry (ones that are in my head right now) for some additional advise.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Boo

Bumping this as I'm still having problems.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in