Skin flakes - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skin flakes

So I was holding my sonny on my shirt earlier, and we where just reading Frankenstein for school [or trying to eat the pages of Frankenstein... ] and cuddling.
Anyway, I noticed after him moving about a bit, he left tiny little white skin flakes on my shirt [which is dark so they where quite noticeable]. They never moved after close observation, so I am pretty sure they can't be mites, but I am not positive. He has had a bit of a problem with dry skin since the day I got him, but at that time he was also quilling. He is about 3 1/2 months old now, so that phase should be wrapping up. And I have been giving him aveeno baths every sunday to help soothe his skin, which does help a little bit.
It is mostly in one area of his body though, his right shoulder area [including the skin under his fur, not just the dark skin under his quills], and he is very sensitive when i touch him there directly. I thought earlier it was just because of when he was quilling, he would scratch a lot, so I thought it was because he scratched a little too much in that area and gave himself a scab [which has healed up]. But it is still sensitive to this day.
The rest of his body is not as sensitive, but when I look under his quills, I see areas of white flakes. They don't clump or anything, they fall off easily if I scratch them with my fingernail. Which also leads me to believe it is just bad dry skin.
But nothing I do seems to help soothe or get rid of it. Especially the tenderness on his right side.
So I am pretty confused what it may be, or what to do for him
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Skin flakes

hmmm.... Is he still losing quills? It could just be a post- quilling thing, but i don't know... Also, it could be dry because of the season....
Hedgie17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes he is still losing quite a few quills. I'll find 2-5 in his hat when I take him out to play for the night, and there is probably a little more in the rest of his cage but they're hard to find so I don't look anymore. And yea I think it may be post-quilling too, but what worries me mainly is the amount of flakes on his body and his right side being tender.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

The tenderness could just be a scar thing from the violent scratching in that area... is there any other symtoms ex: losing weight, less food inntake ect. try giving him a warm bath with aveeno moustrizing stuff (idk what its called)
Hedgie17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

no none of those symptoms.
he just changed the way he eats [he'll eat half when he does his nightly thing, and the other half sometime during the day when i'm gone, or when i wake him up to play]
but i'm not really worried about that lol
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine has a similar problem to what you're describing... she started with dry looking skin, moved into quill loss, then into super-dry flaky skin. The vet did a number of tests and we treated for mites though hedgie had two negative skin scrapings. It wasn't mites. Now we're on to treating it as a yeast infection - oral meds and a special shampoo.

I'd bring him to a vet. If your hedgie's experience is like mine, it's not something you can fix with a home remedy.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

well ill really focus on the flax seed oil food and olive oil/aveeno bath for the next week or so. see if theres any improvement on his skin, ill just watch it closely. i really hope it isn't any sort of fungus like a yeast infection. but im prepared to see the vet if need be.
thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Using flax seed oil and/or olive oil would certainly give you clues as to what's going on. If it's dry skin, they'll help lots. If it's fungal, it won't help; in fact, it'll make things worse for your little one. In that sense, you're running a bit of a risk using them... so, like you said, please be prepared to see the vet
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in