Excessive quill loss/bald patch - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive quill loss/bald patch

Hello,

Thought I would post on here since it's 2am and I can't call my vet.

So Quillson is almost a year now and at around 4-5 months old I noticed him losing more quills than I thought was normal. I also saw him itching and biting at his back quills/having pretty flakey skin so I decided to take him to the vet. Unfortunately I put oil on him that day so she wasn't able to get a good skin scraping but we treated him for a fungal infection since I told her I have always used fleece and I don't see where he could have gotten mites from (we assumed fungal because I brought him outside a couple times and it was the only lead)

I put the topical on his back as prescribed and his itching stopped but his quill loss still didn't seem right. The ringowrm test also came back negative. Just recently I started to notice the spot beginning to bald so I took him back and we did another skin scraping. She found one mite which she told me isn't 100% uncommon but it's something, so I'm treating him with revolution and giving him his 3rd dose Wednesday. I bought him new fleece, cleaned his cage and cage items with vinegar and water, and took out his wooden rummage box. Even though I can see quills coming in, he is still losing them, he leaves a couple even when he's just laying in one spot. He looks so sad with that bald patch and I'm sure he's uncomfortable.

I guess my question is, how long until the quills stop falling out and the ones growing in stay? How many more doses, or should he have been showing signs of improvement by this time? I just don't understand what it could be if it's not mites.
maruzhope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It can take a couple of weeks after treatment for the quill loss to stop. The quills that have been damaged by the mites will all end up falling out so it often seems like the treatment didn't help. Is he scratching now or was he scratching before? Did the vet check for a bacterial skin infection as well when the skin scraping was done?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
It can take a couple of weeks after treatment for the quill loss to stop. The quills that have been damaged by the mites will all end up falling out so it often seems like the treatment didn't help. Is he scratching now or was he scratching before? Did the vet check for a bacterial skin infection as well when the skin scraping was done?
He hasn't itched for a while now, even before treatment, but when I first noticed the quill loss he was scratching a lot. And that wasn't mentioned but wouldn't she have seen a hint under the microscope if it was bacteria? She's a REALLY good exotic vet and knows everything I know and more about both my hedgies and ferrets so I feel like if she saw that might be a possibility she would have said something?
maruzhope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Bacteria will only show if they stain the sample on a slide to specificly look for bacteria. The only way to know if she did check for bacteria is to ask her.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
mites, quill loss, revolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in